Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m new to this list. I recently bought a 2003 vtx 1800s from a forum member. It has stock exhausts and runs very quietly. I’m thinking of making it louder by removing the baffles from the muffler pipes. First question: Is this a normal change to consider or is it a dumb idea that only someone with very little experience would contemplate?

The next question concerns how to go about doing it. Looking at the pipes and baffles, they appear to be attached as follows: The header pipes are bolted to the cylinder exhaust ports at their front ends, and their tail ends appear to be slipped into the front ends of the muffler pipes with no other mechanical fasteners on them. The muffler pipes are bolted to the frame in several places and to brackets that attach them to each other. The tail ends of the muffler pipes have flared slip on tips and each tip has three screws that hold the tail ends of the baffles. I can't tell how the front ends of the baffles are secured. I am guessing that the baffles extend the length of the muffler pipes and slip into the tail ends of the header pipes. The muffler pipes also have a tube that connects them - it is welded to the two pipes and is about 12 inches long running for the most part in parallel with the pipes; I don't know what it does.

So I was thinking of just starting to loosen things until I get the baffles removed. But it also occurs to me that this might not be such a good idea, for reasons which I'm probably not aware of.

TIA for any thoughts you can offer.

Ken

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hey Ken, I already drilled the back of the exhaust so the only way you can feasibly get the exhaust louder is to replace the system. Lots of options on the board. I hear the DC cops like loud pipes!!;);)

Dale

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Dale, I think I see. Chicago-Spike's note suggests that the baffles don't come out easily, and you perforated them to let some of the sound out. I was thinking of this as a cheaper solution. You might be right about the DC cops. Some of their bikes are very loud. Thanks.
Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts