Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little help please... I would really like my Rear Signals to function as LED Running and Brake Lights opposed to single line signals only. Other than buying new signals what will i need to do with wiring to achieve this on my 03 1800R? I'm concerned my dim rear Tail Light is going to get me run over one of these days.

·
Registered
155 Posts
there are aftermarket RTB(run-turn-brake) controller kits that will do just that. Rear lights become running/brake/turn signals with red lenses or some with clear lens and red bulbs. Kuryakyn made one as well as some other manufacturers, not sure what is still available. The TRIPLE WHAMMY was Kuryakyn's version, I have it on both of my 2007 1300C's, great product. Google run/turn/brake controller and see what you can find. e-bay may still have some also. Custom Dynamics was another company.
To convert to LED, you might need to buy an LED flasher to replace the stock one. so that you do not get the hyperflashing that occurs when you change to LEDs w/out changing flasher.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just found this,
So I've installed the 4604 Triple Whammy Run Turn Brake kit on my -7 VTX 1300C and live it. Unfortunately I purchased the 4601 by mistake the first time which doesn't fit my bike. The 4601 fits the 02-03 VTX 1800 all models, the 04 VTX 1800C, all 03-05 VTX 1300s and the 02-03 Shadow 750 ACE.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=cXRRXYunJsvwsAXnvJqYAQ&q=Kuryakyn+Triple+Whammy™+Run-Turn-Brake+Light+Kit+for+Honda+4601&oq=Kuryakyn+Triple+Whammy™+Run-Turn-Brake+Light+Kit+for+Honda+4601&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3360.3360..6177...0.0..0.195.292.1j1......0....2j1..gws-wiz.AL_2SI3GFOM&ved=0ahUKEwjLo6u4wv3jAhVLOKwKHWeeBhMQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

·
Old Goat
24,192 Posts

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
The rear side of your bags are a good place to add lights.
Several have done that with led units. Truck stops have led accessories.
Some have used "plasma rods" aka led strips for extra lighting.
More light is good.

Bare used component leds to add Run/Brake in the TS unit.
Good info even if you do not use it.
Run/brake go together. Turn signals are separate electrically unless a RTB is used.
https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/diy-projects-mods/rear-lights-mod/

Attachments

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
A temporary step to the better kits, for a brighter taillight only, is to swap the 1157 taillight bulb for a 2357. A bit brighter than 1157 w/o as long a useful life, supposedly, but I never burned mine out yet.

·
Registered
511 Posts
$150 shipped to my door I purchased this kit from a member (X'N) on here. I do not know if it is still available, but here is some info from the past.

There is no other plug and play VTX unit on the market that does everything this one does! and its also small and compact and a clean installation.

Here's what it does:

Built in automatic turn signal canceler it flashes for 11 seconds and then turns off even if you leave the switch in the turn position.
Built in load equalizer.
Front / run & turn signal for single filament or halogen bulbs & LED's
Rear / run , brake and turn signal functions
Emergency flashers without heating up , even in parade use . (I will admit because of the stock vtx turnsignal switch it is hard to get it to activate)
Front running lights even with a single element bulb or led

This tread has some info on it too from some of my customers. :thumbup:
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=48589

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
X'n has not logged in here since Nov 2017. The thread you posted was from 2010.

$150 shipped to my door I purchased this kit from a member (X'N) on here. I do not know if it is still available, but here is some info from the past.

There is no other plug and play VTX unit on the market that does everything this one does! and its also small and compact and a clean installation.

Here's what it does:

Built in automatic turn signal canceler it flashes for 11 seconds and then turns off even if you leave the switch in the turn position.
Built in load equalizer.
Front / run & turn signal for single filament or halogen bulbs & LED's
Rear / run , brake and turn signal functions
Emergency flashers without heating up , even in parade use . (I will admit because of the stock vtx turnsignal switch it is hard to get it to activate)
Front running lights even with a single element bulb or led

This tread has some info on it too from some of my customers. :thumbup:
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=48589

·
Registered
10,672 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I installed the signalMinder by Kisan on my 2007 VTX1800t back in 2009. Easy installation and hasn't given me any trouble. The tail light lenses were clear, so I went to the craft store and bought red paint, painted plastic discs and inserted them in the tail lights.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Just a FYI, if your using single LED signal lights (meaning it doesn't have it's own built in running- Brake/turn functions) then the triple whammy type or anything that make them R-T-B will have one issue... since the leds are so brite, the running and brake will look the same... when I had a triple whammy on mine, my buddies couldn't tell the difference from brake and running light... so I got ride of the triple whammy and got a signal dynamics turn/brake one... I already had a center led running/brake light so I didn't need/want the signals to functions as running anyway... that worked out much better...

I have since changed out my signals... the new ones have separate functions' for running and brake/turn... (so I could remove the signal dynamics T-B controller) so the led's are dimmer for the running function, and full brite for turn/brake, so you can tell the difference.

·
Registered
778 Posts

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Plug and play.

Some people think everything shown is what it comes with. Led on pc board only.

No resistors needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts