Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't about an X but I imagine some of y'all can advise me. My wife's 750 AERO is all of a sudden very difficult to put into neutral when she has stopped. The bike shifts very smoothly and functions perfectly EXCEPT when she's trying to put in in neutral. You cannot hardly do it using your foot. It wants to slip through neutral either down into 1st or up into 2nd. I can reach down and gently "find" neutral with my hand but with the foot its almost impossibe. Is this a harbinger of impending trouble? Its a 06 AERO and is still under warranty. We're suppose to go out for a week long run in a week or so. What do y'all think?

:roll:

·
Registered
230 Posts
hmm

you know, I'm not sure what others will have to say but I had the same time on my honda VLX AND on my vtx 1300. When I get back from a ride I park at the bottom of the driveway and like to leave the bike running for a second and everytime I get home it seems like to takes a few minutes just to get it in to neutral. I can do it, but I miss it like ten times before I get it right. It's a pain. It sounds similar to your problem and not sure if others on here feel the same way. It's sometimes hard to get my bike into first gear once it's warmed up and sitting in neutral. I have to gently shift it into first gear as I let the clutch out a little bit and it gets in there and I immediately pull the clutch back in. Anyhow, maybe I need to adjust my clutch cable, maybe you do too, but this seems like the only thing that might help, but it doesn't seem like it's a real fix...good luck!

Curtis

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Same issue here on my VTX.

I always attributed it to my big @ss size 13 boots having no sensitivity to smaller movements..... :D

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
shadango said:
Same issue here on my VTX.

I always attributed it to my big @ss size 13 boots having no sensitivity to smaller movements..... :D
Don't feel bad, my size 12s have the same problem.

The X does it every now and again. Never really found a pattern, but think it's something to do with running hard for a long period of time and then getting off the interstate or slowing to a stop.

Usually only then, but not sure that is something to explain it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i had the same problem with my 1300 adjusted the clutch and cured the problem.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just curious....What do you run for oil?
I had a similar problem on my Valkyrie, I switched to a synthetic....no more problem.
I know there are more opinions on oils than there are weeds in my garden...but this worked for me, that's all.
* RedWing *

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Just a tad too much slack in the clutch cable, meaning that it is not fully disengaged when you pull the lever in. Tighten it just a bit and that should fix your problem.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
cybrhick said:
Just a tad too much slack in the clutch cable, meaning that it is not fully disengaged when you pull the lever in. Tighten it just a bit and that should fix your problem.
Exactly what Steve said.

When I wrecked, one body part that was injured was my left hand. So, this 'inspired' me to install Steve's CTR that I've had sitting around for months. I experienced the exact same thing until I fine tuned the clutch adjustment.

Although, I don't wanna make it sound like it's difficult to adjust the clutch, (because it's not) I also installed chrome clutch/brake levers. They were a tad shorter than stock. So it took some riding and testing to get it dialed in just right.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
My buddy's wife had the exact same problem with her 06 Aero. Slight adjustment on clutch cable... problem solved.

Cheers

Jthree

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
...Had same problem with locating Neutral with my old VLX600 Shadow due to too much clutch play. I took up some of the slack in the clutch cable and finding neutral was no longer a problem.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Gentlemen! (and I use that erm loosely :D ) looks like a clutch cable adjustment. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.