Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am having a problem that is challenging the mechanics at the Honda dealer in Bloomington, IN. I spent the holiday weekend there and when I went to leave, my 2002 VTX1800R (purchased from Whitlow) would not start. First problem I have ever had with it. It turned over fine but wouldn't start. The FI indicator was lit. Tried it off and on for hours while waiting for a tow without getting it started. Of course, when the dealer opened this morning, it fired right up so the problem is intermittent (they have been able to recreate it). They checked the ECU codes which indicated problems #12 and #13 which suggest injector malfunction. They think that is not the problem because injectors rarely fail/have problems. They checked the kill and ignition switches and cleaned those up but don't think that is the root cause. Fuel pump seems to be working fine. They ~believe~ that the Power Commander III might be failing (one of the mechanics had one fail on him with with similar symptoms). The bike has a P4 intake and Vance and Hines Bigshots with Thunder Monster baffles. The dealership is proposing to unhook the PCIII and use the original fuel management system. I live 4.5 hours away and rented a car to get home. I am trying to decide whether to trailer the bike home or return the rental car and drive the bike. It will be a hell of a lot cheaper to return the car and drive the bike home (more fun too!).

So:
1. Thoughts about the diagnosis and proposed solution?
2. Thoughts about trailering vs. riding it home?

Any sage advice from you all who have so much more experience than me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dirge

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
2002 - a few have had the FI power at the 2pin connector burn open.
http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/tech/melted-main-wiring/

In a few rare instances a wire rubbing/shorting on the cable harness frame clip
has caused injector codes. Right at the area where the injector wires break out of the main harness.

A few PC3 have failed, some had broken power or ground wires in some cases.

·
Super Moderator
64,412 Posts
Take the PC3 off the bike and see. It can be run with no fuel manager as many have pipes and airboxes with no fuel managers and they run just fine. Have they checked out the Fuel Pressure Regulator?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You!

Hans&Feet and Spike,

Many thanks for the suggestions. I have forwarded them to the dealer. I appreciate your time and expertise!

Dirge

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Also check how the PCIII is connected to the wiring. Vampire clips will gradually cut the wiring and can cause intermittent prorblems like yours. Connections should be soldered. Anyway disconnecting the PCIII is a good solution for the moment.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Yeah, I agree with other members 'unplug'that PC111 and go from there.
Yup, eliminate the easy stuff first. Only take a few minutes to disconnect the PCIII, and if it's not that, a few more to reconnect.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It appears to have been the PCIII

Thanks again for the responses. I appreciate them.

It does appear to have been the PCIII. I rode the bike home yesterday (around 200 miles). It rode beautifully and an added benefit was significantly better gas mileage (the PCIII was set on the rich side). I am going to ride it without an aftermarket fuel manager for a while before making a decision whether to replace it.

Ride safe all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts