Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-

Well, I am still a newbie so I have continued questions about my 05 Retro. First, thanks to everyone on this board for the excellent info.

The weather has finally broke here in East Central Ohio, and I have not been on travel for work so I was able to put the first serious miles on my bike yesterday. I went on a short 60 mile trip and on the way back the bike shut off 5 times!

I called the stealer and they asked if there was gas in it...duh! Of course there is gas in it, I put gas in it when it only had like 15 miles on it (130 now)...it should be fine I said.

The guy was real nice an seemed to know what he was talking about. He told me to put it on reserve and then ride it and put gas in it. Sure enough, that worked....ok, now that I feel like a moron here are my questions:

1. I was told not to fill the gas up past the neck inside the tank. Correct? Why??
2. The stealer told me the main gas is fed through a line sticking up from the bottom of the tank and the length of that line (basically how far it sticks up inside the tank) veries. Once you switch to reserve, the reserve line is shorter, hence able to get more gas out of a tank. Is there a way to shorten that line to get more out of a tank?
3. When I put gas in the tank, I put it in just above that neck line (about 3.4 gallons). Does this seem correct for a fill up, or do I put more in??

Well, I think that's all. Thanks in advance for the help.

Later,
-E

·
Registered
740 Posts
The last time I filled up after hitting reserve, the tank took 3.8 gallons. I filled up while still on the bike, and filled to the bottom of the neck w/ the bike straight up. I usually get anywhere between 145 to 155 miles before I have to switch to reserve. (BTW you should really practice reaching for the petcock and switching to reserve w/out looking, while riding. Also I noticed that if you are riding and have to switch in a hurry, its better/faster to bring the engine to life if you let completely off the throttle, then slowly add throttle till its up and running.)

Welcome to the world of VTX 8)

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't know about you, I wouldn't want to shorten the tube in the bottom of the tank. If you do, the reserve portion of the tank won't be doing the job it's intended for. You should be able to go 30-35 miles on reserve now. If you shorten the tube, it's anybody's guess how far (or not far) you can go on reserve. That would be kinda' like staying on reserve all the time and never having that "cushion" in case you run a little too low.

A tank full of gas will get you 2-3 hours in the saddle. It's better to stop that often or sooner anyhow unless you're trying to break some kind of record. Just my thoughts.

Ride safely and have fun!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, cool...thanks for the info everyone.

It just kinda flipped me out when it happend cause I thought I had a lot more gas than that.

Later,

-E

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.