Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put 1000 miles on this past weekend. Developed a speedo rattle, and I've looked at all the different fixes...question is there anything I need to know as far as which screwheads are actually real and which ones are for looks only? Don't want to twist off the wrong ones when I remove the cover.
Also, I was rear-ended by a Harley Wideglide and broke the inside bracket of my Hondaline saddlebags and bent the bracket. I stopped, he didn't. Does anyone know if there is a parts list for just the bags that I can order replacement pieces from?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
all the screw heads are real ....the front 4 hold the speedo to the dash ...the back 3 hold the dash to the tank

·
Registered
251 Posts
Usually a pretty simple fix. For me while riding and expierencing the rattle I applied pressure to different areas of the speedo till the rattle stopped. This was the area in which I unscrewed the bolt and put a plastic washer under it. No more rattle.

·
Registered
562 Posts
personally, I violently punch and slam my fist on the speedo. I F-ing hate rattles and buzzes on my truck or bike. I'm honestly shocked I haven't broken the damn thing yet. I opened up every screw on the speedo housing a while back and put in a rubber O-ring, and it worked for a while, but it has come back, and it drives me bonkers. Currently, I'm ashamed to admit that I've got a wad of duct tape crammed under it. It was all I had available when I stopped at someones house the other day, and it's worked so well, it's lasted almost a month now. I don't recommend the violently punching it method, nor do I recommend the duct tape. O-rings work. for a while at least.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Try using pipe foam insulation tape under the rattle area along with the o-rings under the bolts.

G

·
Inkster said:
Just put 1000 miles on this past weekend. Developed a speedo rattle, and I've looked at all the different fixes...question is there anything I need to know as far as which screwheads are actually real and which ones are for looks only? Don't want to twist off the wrong ones when I remove the cover.
Also, I was rear-ended by a Harley Wideglide and broke the inside bracket of my Hondaline saddlebags and bent the bracket. I stopped, he didn't. Does anyone know if there is a parts list for just the bags that I can order replacement pieces from?
You were rear ended by a HD? Did his brakes fail? :lol:

I am not 100% sure but I do not believe you can order parts for 'accessories'. I know people have tried to order replacement bolts from Honda for Hondaline backrests and were told you couldn't order them.

Though bolts are simple and can almost be bought anywhere unless they are uncommon in some way.

How badly bent is the bracket? Can't it be striaghtened ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. I'll try the O-rings and foam and see if that does the trick. Just want to be sure I didn't twist off any "plastic" things that weren't made to move.
No, the Harley rider decided he could beat the car that was coming up to the intersection and I decided to wait for. He thought I went on through and was watching the car, not me. Bracket that holds the bag on is bent, I straightend the best I could. The fram at the top of the bags that help it hold it's shape is broke at the corner. I may see if it can be welded without taking out the rivets, or may try some JB Weld.

G

·
Since he was at fault - is he offering to make things right for you?

Ask him to replace the bracket set - I think it'd be the least he would do.

Just my .02 cents

1 - 10 of 10 Posts