Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for someone that makes a quick release for the 2005 f honda backrest. Only want to have a backrest when the wife rides with me.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Cut out the red areas like on the picture below.
The front holes get cut forward and the rear holes cut down. That way it will drop into place. Just tighten the bolts and off you and Momma go, lickety-split! :D

Tim :arrow:

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
ANV1L said:
Cut out the red areas like on the picture below.
The front holes get cut forward and the rear holes cut down. That way it will drop into place. Just tighten the bolts and off you and Momma go, lickety-split! :D

Tim :arrow:
Should work quite well. Same design as the Pallidin without the hardware.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Been there, done that!
Love mine.

Works great! Can have sissy bar off in 3 minutes.
works with EZ brackets for saddle bags, too.

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
Cool...I was just about to search this same thing. I know I saw a guy use the Harley sissy bar quick release hardware...couldn't find that post though.

This will work...how's the chrome holding up around the cuts though?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If you already have the Honda backrest then I'd say mod it. If you have nothing the get the Paladin removable. Why have to loosen and tighten bolts every time you want it on and off?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Ditto to DonG.

If you don't have one, get the right one (But it's more $$)

I had one, did the mod later.

You can find post to this effect, but:
1) put it in place to see where to cut. Should be very close to the red marks on the indicated picture (post above from ANV1L.)
2) Tape the area (both sides) before cutting, then mark the tape with the marker.
3) cut the fron first and slip them on to get a good idea of the back fit.
4) I used a "wafer wheel" (a very thin [<1/16"] abrasive cutting wheel on a small (Metabo-type) side grinder.
5) cut very slowly so as not to heat/damage the surrounding chrome.
6) dab some silver/shiny paint (rustoleum) on the inner, exposed metal to help prevent an possible rust.

I did mine 2 years ago and have had no problems, but yes I do have to loosen & tighten the 4 bolts to get if on & off.

I had the quick release on my harley, it was nice.

Good luck!

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
Thrill said:
Ditto to DonG.

If you don't have one, get the right one (But it's more $$)

I had one, did the mod later.

You can find post to this effect, but:
1) put it in place to see where to cut. Should be very close to the red marks on the indicated picture (post above from ANV1L.)
2) Tape the area (both sides) before cutting, then mark the tape with the marker.
3) cut the fron first and slip them on to get a good idea of the back fit.
4) I used a "wafer wheel" (a very thin [<1/16"] abrasive cutting wheel on a small (Metabo-type) side grinder.
5) cut very slowly so as not to heat/damage the surrounding chrome.
6) dab some silver/shiny paint (rustoleum) on the inner, exposed metal to help prevent an possible rust.

I did mine 2 years ago and have had no problems, but yes I do have to loosen & tighten the 4 bolts to get if on & off.

I had the quick release on my harley, it was nice.

Good luck!
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.