Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a dilemma and I don’t know if you guys can help but here’s the thing, my bike has the power commander three and cobra slash cut pipes, which I hate to say it are just too loud. So I’m thinking about putting on the stock pipes which the previous owner gave me along with a lot of other stuff. I don’t even know if I can get them on there, I know I don’t like how they look compared to the cobras but my rider fatigue from the cobras is such that after about two hours I’m just worn out from all the noise. My other bike which is a Honda Valkyrie is way quieter it has stock exhaust. But that’s another story, my question to you guys is will the power commander 3 be able to adjust to the radical change in back pressure if I put the stock exhaust back on my VTX? (I do have the PC 3 software on my laptop) I thought I read on this forum somewhere that the power commander will only enrich but not lean out a fuel system — is that right? What advice would you give for my situation? Thanks

A little more information, I wear ear plugs all the time on this thing! That makes it bearable but it’s not really doing the job for me. Also, I did put in some different baffles in those cobras and while it did take down the decibel level it made the thing run crappy sort of. And it had this tinny sound that I hated so I decided to pull them out and put the cobra baffles in which are really not baffles at all ha ha.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I have a dilemma and I don’t know if you guys can help but here’s the thing, my bike has the power commander three and cobra slash cut pipes, which I hate to say it are just too loud. So I’m thinking about putting on the stock pipes which the previous owner gave me along with a lot of other stuff. I don’t even know if I can get them on there, I know I don’t like how they look compared to the cobras but my rider fatigue from the cobras is such that after about two hours I’m just worn out from all the noise. My other bike which is a Honda Valkyrie is way quieter it has stock exhaust. But that’s another story, my question to you guys is will the power commander 3 be able to adjust to the radical change in back pressure if I put the stock exhaust back on my VTX? (I do have the PC 3 software on my laptop) I thought I read on this forum somewhere that the power commander will only enrich but not lean out a fuel system — is that right? What advice would you give for my situation? Thanks

A little more information, I wear ear plugs all the time on this thing! That makes it bearable but it’s not really doing the job for me. Also, I did put in some different baffles in those cobras and while it did take down the decibel level it made the thing run crappy sort of. And it had this tinny sound that I hated so I decided to pull them out and put the cobra baffles in which are really not baffles at all ha ha.
I am running Cobra Slash pipes and Cobras Fi2000 on my 2002 VTX1800 R. My neighbors hate me and I don't remember the last time I got a smile or a wave from any of them when I'm riding down the street I live... I'll find the best solution to quiet the old gal, without giving up the wonder you feel when you roll on power in a brisk manner...nothing quite like it.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running Cobra Slash pipes and Cobras Fi2000 on my 2002 VTX1800 R. My neighbors hate me and I don't remember the last time I got a smile or a wave from any of them when I'm riding down the street I live... I'll find the best solution to quiet the old gal, without giving up the wonder you feel when you roll on power in a brisk manner...nothing quite like it.
You know it’s odd that nobody really gives me a dirty look when I’m riding. It’s not that, it’s not that they are neighbor-hater pipes, it’s really about me, I just can’t take the noise myself. And I totally get what you’re saying, the power you experience with those cobras it’s great, but… a few more posts like yours and you guys might talk me out of this “dilemma“ LOL

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I understand wanting to quiet it down.

Just a note, even when I had quiet pipes, I wore earplugs. I still suggest wearing them after you sort out your pipes. Wind noise alone, basically any constant noise, actually causes fatigue. So it is much safer to wear them (you don't have to push them all the way in, and it will reduce wind noise without blocking other outside noises).

·
Premium Member
2003 Honda VTX 1800c
43 Posts

Just a note, even when I had quiet pipes, I wore earplugs. I still suggest wearing them after you sort out your pipes. Wind noise alone, basically any constant noise, actually causes fatigue. So it is much safer to wear them (you don't have to push them all the way in, and it will reduce wind noise without blocking other outside noises).
I agree, ear plugs are a must for me on longer than average, "around town" rides.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yeah, I wear earplugs pretty much anytime I’m riding any bike. I have tinnitus because as a machinist (and motorcyclist) I’ve been exposed to lots of noise for the last 45+ years

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You no longer need a pc when you install stock exhaust
Aha. So being clueless as I am, I need to ask, do I simply disconnect it? If so, what happens then, the fuel injection takes over as it was originally? Thanks.

·
Registered
253 Posts

If it helps, I have a stock muffler that has been shortened. The seller thought he had a Roadhouse slip on and I tried to buy that but he'd sold it and sold me this stock shortened muffler instead. He said it is between the Roadhouse and stock in terms of loudness. He was nice enough to sell it to me cheap after he didn't have the Roadhouse. Now my seat is gone and I'd be happy to let you have this for shipping, let me know. It was 50 for him to ship it to me from Pennsylvania. I'm in New Mexico, 88011. You'd have to reinstall your stock exhaust of course, and then put this muffler on instead of the one you've got. You could also do the mods to this muffler if you want it louder.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it helps, I have a stock muffler that has been shortened. The seller thought he had a Roadhouse slip on and I tried to buy that but he'd sold it and sold me this stock shortened muffler instead. He said it is between the Roadhouse and stock in terms of loudness. He was nice enough to sell it to me cheap after he didn't have the Roadhouse. Now my seat is gone and I'd be happy to let you have this for shipping, let me know. It was 50 for him to ship it to me from Pennsylvania. I'm in New Mexico, 88011. You'd have to reinstall your stock exhaust of course, and then put this muffler on instead of the one you've got. You could also do the mods to this muffler if you want it louder.
That’s a very kind offer thanks. Let me think about it because it this point I’m thinking about putting my stock exhaust back on to begin with and see how I like it. I’m really on the fence because I love the look and the power of the cobras even if they are so loud. The fact that I have other bikes which aren’t loud makes me feel like so what, I have one loud motorcycle. LOL

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Your PCIII doesn't self adjust, it is an open loop system. If you want to enjoy a smoother power curve, one that doesn't have any flat spots as you accelerate through the rev range leave the PC in place. Keep in mind that the OEM map was designed to pass emissions not necessarily to give you a good experience. The numbers in the cells of the map you are using now can be adjusted to accommodate the stock exhaust. That is best done on a dyno with a tech who is familiar with PowerCommander products.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your PCIII doesn't self adjust, it is an open loop system. If you want to enjoy a smoother power curve, one that doesn't have any flat spots as you accelerate through the rev range leave the PC in place. Keep in mind that the OEM map was designed to pass emissions not necessarily to give you a good experience. The numbers in the cells of the map you are using now can be adjusted to accommodate the stock exhaust. That is best done on a dyno with a tech who is familiar with PowerCommander products.
That’s very good information thanks. I’m getting now to where I think I’ll just leave things alone and live with the noise. My wife doesn’t think the bike’s that loud so what the heck LOL

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah, but the fact that a PCIII has to be programmed correctly, and if not, can damage your engine, makes me want to learn all about programming it and having it correct. Better without than with and not correctly programmed.

How did you learn to program yours sojourner?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My last VTX was an 1800C with a PCIII and Cobra slashcuts. I was also given the stock pipes when I bought the bike. I thought the Cobras were too "harsh" so I put the stock pipes back on. I was greatly underwhelmed by the stock pipes so I put the Cobras back on and pulled the baffles to see what I could do there.

The original (fiberglass?) matting was almost gone. I bought a roll of stainless steel wool on ebay and used that to re-wrap the baffles. That gave those pipes the most awesome, deep tone that I have ever heard on any bike! They had a much lower volume when under 50% throttle but they really roared when you opened it up!

Just wrap the SS wool around the baffles as tight as you can get it layered as thick as you can make it fit. I started on one end of the baffle and wrapped a spiral to the other end, then back to the starting end. Repeat until the diameter of the SS wool will just barely fit into the muffler. Cut the SS wool with scissors and then twist some wire around the new wrapping to keep the SS wool in place while you reinsert the baffles. In addition to the better sound, this stuff also lasts for years.

My current VTX 1800 has V&H long shots which are too skinny to hold enough baffle wrapping to help. I offered to trade these V&H for those old Cobras and he turned me down!

Give the stainless steel wool a try - I think you will like it. If not, it works great around the shop for scrubbing mud and grease off parts too.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My last VTX was an 1800C with a PCIII and Cobra slashcuts. I was also given the stock pipes when I bought the bike. I thought the Cobras were too "harsh" so I put the stock pipes back on. I was greatly underwhelmed by the stock pipes so I put the Cobras back on and pulled the baffles to see what I could do there.

The original (fiberglass?) matting was almost gone. I bought a roll of stainless steel wool on ebay and used that to re-wrap the baffles. That gave those pipes the most awesome, deep tone that I have ever heard on any bike! They had a much lower volume when under 50% throttle but they really roared when you opened it up!

Just wrap the SS wool around the baffles as tight as you can get it layered as thick as you can make it fit. I started on one end of the baffle and wrapped a spiral to the other end, then back to the starting end. Repeat until the diameter of the SS wool will just barely fit into the muffler. Cut the SS wool with scissors and then twist some wire around the new wrapping to keep the SS wool in place while you reinsert the baffles. In addition to the better sound, this stuff also lasts for years.

My current VTX 1800 has V&H long shots which are too skinny to hold enough baffle wrapping to help. I offered to trade these V&H for those old Cobras and he turned me down!

Give the stainless steel wool a try - I think you will like it. If not, it works great around the shop for scrubbing mud and grease off parts too.
Well I’ll give it a try, but I don’t see any room to put steel wool or any other wrap on the baffles that are in my cobras. I thought of doing that when I first bought the bike and I decided I got a buy some other baffles because there’s no room to put anything on or in the cobra baffles.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I’ll give it a try, but I don’t see any room to put steel wool or any other wrap on the baffles that are in my cobras. I thought of doing that when I first bought the bike and I decided I got a buy some other baffles because there’s no room to put anything on or in the cobra baffles.
OK I ordered me a roll of stainless steel wool on eBay and I’m going to try wrapping it just like you said. The thing that puzzles me is I never saw any wrap on the baffles in my cobras, you can hardly call them baffles —more like a spark arrester or something LOL

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cobra has a quiet baffle. Trying to get the link to it. One VTX owner used sink strainer for his baffles.
I definitely don’t have a baffled that looks like the one pictured in your link. And I actually contacted cobra and without a part number they can’t help me quieter baffles. Problem is I don’t have a part number for my pipes, just the diameter which they wouldn’t work with me for that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts