Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has a 2005 new-to-him 1800R and it has a radiator leak. He just put on Cobra Fatty bars last night and no trouble before this. He thought he had a loose hose because there was a coolant leak dripping from the hose location. Tightened the hose clamp last night. The drip appeared to stop. This morning, started the bike and let it warm up, and noticed a small puddle of coolant underneath the hose. Took the car to work. Tonight he loosened the clamp, reseated the clamp and tightened it again. Started the bike, still getting the leak. Took the left and right hand covers off the radiator and removed the lower cover, dried up everything with a rag, started the bike to see where the leak was coming from. It appears the leak is coming from right side bracket that's soldered onto the bottom of the radiator. It's a slow leak but he is concerned nonetheless. Can the radiator be repaired? Is it brass/copper or aluminum for the tanks? Sugggestions?

·
Super Moderator
63,943 Posts
Take it to a rad repair shop. They should be able to fix it. If not, the sponsor of this site can get you a new one for under $200

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Should be no problem to get fixed, I've had 2 radiators from my Neo leak there. The first one I got warrantied (replaced with a Honda radiator), the second I had repaired (long story behind that, but I'm more confident in the repaired one than in the new OEM one after seeing the job our local radiator shop did for me 8)).

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Mine was leaking on the lower left pad, I took it off dried and cleaned it up real good and JB Welded it, that fixed the problem. That has been over two years ago and more than 25,000 miles.. so far so good.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mine was leaking on the lower left pad, I took it off dried and cleaned it up real good and JB Welded it, that fixed the problem. That has been over two years ago and more than 25,000 miles.. so far so good.

:agree:Did that too !JB weld is great stuff.:tools:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Radiator Leak Decision

Thanks for all the information. I have a 2007 Aero and the hubby has an '83 Gold Wing. The VTX is new to us so we're learning! He has decided to try the JB weld. He is going to ride it and make sure it's going to hold before a trip to Morehead KY in three weeks. It's just over 300 miles for us so we want to make sure we're not going to get stuck on the side of the road. Again, thanks a million!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts