Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about 500 miles away from home and I noticed a wet spot under the bike when parked... It isn't leaking much at all. I'm here visiting family and wont be around the bike starting here in a couple hours until next friday... Leaking for home on July 1st going back to work. All of the Honda shops around here are closed until Monday which I will be about 200 miles from where my bike is so I cannot take it to them =/. I just bought the bike last June brand new, has about 6000 miles on it and I have the 5 year protection plan, anyone know if a radiator is covered under warranty? What about if a rock went through or something? I checked and it isn't the lower radiator hose leaking, thought I might get lucky with just a loose clamp. I cannot visably see the leak with the chrome shroud around it. Think it would be safe to just keep an eye on the level and get it repaired once I get home? Also, I don't know where the cap is at... Do I need to remove the tank or something stupid like that?

Well just found the cap under the tank so that kind of means I cannot just top it off while it needs as I ride home. Also, is it ok to drive it without coolant? My old bike was air cooled... dunno if you can do that with the vtx's or not

·
Registered
20 Posts
I won't run it without coolant. Since the VTX is designed to be water cooled, it wouldn't be able to cool itself with just air.

·
Super Moderator
63,687 Posts
Radiator system cap is under the tank. The coolant reservoir is behind that chrome cover on the left side of the engine.

Where is it leaking? Near the front, the middle or near the back of the engine??

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Tighten all the hose clamps...including the one between the jugs.

Look at the overflow to see what level it is at...it may have drawn from there.

Top off the radiator as necessary...not the overflow...when you get home

DO NOT run any water cooled motor without fluid

Bull

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
W/O coolant it would burn up in roughly 15 minutes.

If it were me - I'd loosen the cap to keep pressure from building up, forcing it to leak.
Don't allow it to run un-necessary - coast on down hill runs to help it stay cool if not forced by traffic.
Kill it at the long lights - if the fan starts. This will give the radiator a head start to cool the engine on restart.

A rock is not covered.
But a mount on the radiator may have cracked the cell of the radiator. Leaking around the shroud.
Best of luck for sure - it can make a tour a bit stressful - just make the engine make the work easy and it should get you there.
If you can stash at least water with - I wouldn't worry about anti-freeze.
Get to where you need to first.
Keep the RPM's up w/o lugging.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Radiator system cap is under the tank. The coolant reservoir is behind that chrome cover on the left side of the engine.

Where is it leaking? Near the front, the middle or near the back of the engine??
It's dripping from around the shroud. I'm not sure how long I already ran it without any antifreeze... noticed after I stopped. It is empty though. Just got a few drops out of it and don't see any antifreeze in the resivior site window. I looked at the front of the radiator and see no wet spots as if it was from a rock... it's dripping from the back side of the shroud.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
It's dripping from around the shroud. I'm not sure how long I already ran it without any antifreeze... noticed after I stopped. It is empty though. Just got a few drops out of it and don't see any antifreeze in the resivior site window. I looked at the front of the radiator and see no wet spots as if it was from a rock... it's dripping from the back side of the shroud.
Something not adding up...you would of got the 'idiot' hot light if it was empty. Got a few drops out of where/what?

Bull

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something not adding up...you would of got the 'idiot' hot light if it was empty. Got a few drops out of where/what?

Bull
That's what I thought too... maybe there is still some coolant in it yet just low in the resivior... it's dripping from the back side of the chrome radiator shroud. Wasn't sure if the engine high temp light just didn't come on because there isn't any antifreeze in it? Maybe I got lucky and it didn't actually lose it all. I think Monday I'm coming back to my bike and trailering it to the nearest honda shop

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
That's what I thought too... maybe there is still some coolant in it yet just low in the resivior... it's dripping from the back side of the chrome radiator shroud. Wasn't sure if the engine high temp light just didn't come on because there isn't any antifreeze in it? Maybe I got lucky and it didn't actually lose it all. I think Monday I'm coming back to my bike and trailering it to the nearest honda shop
At this point...that's what I would do. To many unknowns. Good luck.

Bull

·
Super Moderator
63,687 Posts
If you're only going by the reservoir tank sight, that is what is empty, not the system. As said, if you had no coolant in there it wouldn't run for more than a few minutes before the engine seized. Fill the reservoir, check the hose clamps for tightness as this is a problem area

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Bull
If you're only going by the reservoir tank sight, that is what is empty, not the system. As said, if you had no coolant in there it wouldn't run for more than a few minutes before the engine seized. Fill the reservoir, check the hose clamps for tightness as this is a problem area
How do I just fill the resivior? Remove the chrome cover? Sorry about the simple questions... just never had to do anything with the coolant yet.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Bull117
The engine only needs to be low to be overheating. If it came on only empty - its way too late and fried,

That's what I thought too... maybe there is still some coolant in
You need to get the radiator cap off before any more driving - to confirm there's coolant on the end of your finger with cap off.
With cap off - look at it carefully - you see any junk on the seals - wipe/wash/scrub it off.

Forget the side tank reservoir - that comes last.

Get plain water and fill THE ENGINE till it spills out. You don't need to remove tank - just get access.
Now test.
If it starts leak at the front of radiator - you have a few choices.
But update where we are at this point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I got back to where my bike has been parked at today and crawled under the frony with a small flashlight... the radiator is wet around the lower mount on the right side. Called the Honda dealer and they are going to order one for me next day air and replace it under the warranty for me =]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts