Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1800 R is in the dealer for some repairs. Since they have it all torn apart, I asked them to install the C risers I had bought. I was told it would be $700 in parts for new cables and hydraulic lines (because the lines were too tight).

I have seen plenty of posts on VTXOA which say the C risers will work on an R (that is why I bought the C risers). There does not appear to be a lot of slack in the lines on my R and I am hoping someone has pictures they can share so I can see how they routed the lines to get it to work.

·
Registered
9,014 Posts
Thats a ripoff..
I bought a set of C risers for $40.00 used on this forum,and installed them without changing any cables or lines..
They worked just fine..

I took em off because I liked the stock riser better...

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
My 1800 R is in the dealer for some repairs. Since they have it all torn apart, I asked them to install the C risers I had bought. I was told it would be $700 in parts for new cables and hydraulic lines (because the lines were too tight).

I have seen plenty of posts on VTXOA which say the C risers will work on an R (that is why I bought the C risers). There does not appear to be a lot of slack in the lines on my R and I am hoping someone has pictures they can share so I can see how they routed the lines to get it to work.

OH MY G!!!!! I hate (S)dealers.....there is no other way to say it, Their full of SHIRT! Get your bike outta there.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Bar hopping

Did the same...
Installed 'C' riser...rode a few days...then removed them.
Only cost was my time plus the risers.
No need for longer cables.
Decided to swap bars to get grips further back, and lower.
I went around to many dealers, and sat on a few bikes.
Found the HD "Road King Custom" had the perfect bars for me.
$75 for the bars...bolted right up too.
Of course I had to buy new grips...but that was all.

·
Registered
596 Posts
OH MY G!!!!! I hate (S)dealers.....there is no other way to say it, Their full of SHIRT! Get your bike outta there.
that is a big @$$ "blanket" statement,and in my opinion without merit .There are ripoffs in any field .Lots of ripoff indys that don't even own the proper tools for the job

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just received a set of C risers today (THANKS GOG). Installed them in about 20 minutes. The only mod I had to make was unclip the lines from the lower cable clip point on the handlebar and remove the front brake hose support from the tree.

I just finished riding 200 miles today and absolutely loved the position and had zero problems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
C Risers on 2003 VTX1800 R

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

I got the C risers in an effort to get more comfortable on long rides. The forward hunch I have with the stock risers is fine for cruising around town when I have the fairing off, but I need to sit more upright for longer rides.

I will try the C risers this weekend and see how it goes. Perhaps Santa will bring some new handlebars for Christmas (or maybe some new pipes, PC III, air cleaner, new jacket, new boots, more chrome, ...) :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

I got the C risers in an effort to get more comfortable on long rides. The forward hunch I have with the stock risers is fine for cruising around town when I have the fairing off, but I need to sit more upright for longer rides.

I will try the C risers this weekend and see how it goes. Perhaps Santa will bring some new handlebars for Christmas (or maybe some new pipes, PC III, air cleaner, new jacket, new boots, more chrome, ...) :D
You are gonna love it. I put them in my t and with Utopia backrest and MCC seat mod it made for a world of difference.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
that is a big @$$ "blanket" statement,and in my opinion without merit .There are ripoffs in any field .Lots of ripoff indys that don't even own the proper tools for the job
Your reply seems to contradict itself. A blanket statement, don't think so. I'd be willing to bet that a large percent of knowledgeable riders that take their bikes to dealers have been mislead/lied too or poor service work and overpriced work. I'm not talking about the individual who wouldn't know a good repair from a bad one. Yes there are many rip off artists in various industries but it seems that Honda service departments are NOT top notch, and again I'm not talking about perception but the reality of whether the job is done right.

·
Registered
131 Posts
When I traded in my 02 1800R for a new Victory Kingpin, part of the deal was a set of Ness bars including install. The bars of course were backordered so I took my bike and went on my way. IMO after about 2 weeks and a few hundred mile I missed my X, but it was already a done deal. When the bars showed up I wasn't in the mood to fuss with them and part of the deal was that any of teh extra in the original purchase were going to be installed by them. I dropped the bike off thinking that I should be able to get it the next day or so, but five days later was still getting the run around that the bars wouldn't fit without "modifications not included" ie new cables and lines from the shop manager. I called bull***** and talked to the owner. Went on a group ride with them on a loaner bike while they put mine back together, got back and took my bike and bars home along with the unfolded directions - hint: never try to ride while trying to haul a set of one piece bars in your jacket, it's not fun. Got home, had a beer while reading the directions, grabbed another beer and it took me about 30 minutes to install the bars rerouting the cables and hoses the way the directions from Ness instructed to. I still buy stuff from the shop since they are also a Honda dealer and the only local one that is worth dealing with sales wise, but the shop manager has since moved on. Rode the bike over to the dealers after work the next day with the new bars on and the owner and a friend of mine came out and said they looked real nice and asked how they went on. With the shop manager within ear shot, I said real simple, drank a couple of beers and read the f''ing directions. I know, long rant, but SOME dealers/shops are just after money especially this day and age, but there are still some good ones out there. Erik

·
Registered
596 Posts
Your reply seems to contradict itself. A blanket statement, don't think so. I'd be willing to bet that a large percent of knowledgeable riders that take their bikes to dealers have been mislead/lied too or poor service work and overpriced work. I'm not talking about the individual who wouldn't know a good repair from a bad one. Yes there are many rip off artists in various industries but it seems that Honda service departments are NOT top notch, and again I'm not talking about perception but the reality of whether the job is done right.
I see you are an indy that repairs them .That couldn't have anything to do with your "blanket" statement ,Could it?The local chevy dealer once screwed me ,so all chevy dealers are ripoffs...Wait ,maybe you made that statement because you have personnaly tried all the honda dealers .And your conclusion is that the guy with the shed in his back yard is more trustworthy.........FWIW i'm an Indy ,but i'd be a fool to say "all dealers are ripoffs"

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Install the Risers Myself

I got the feeling that the dealer wanted to do a "top notch" job with the install (i.e., new cables and hoses instead of just unclipping and re-routing). I can appreciate their perspective, but I do not want to spend that much on parts to do it. The info from dclark is what I needed to "sanity check" what I am doing at home.

I took it into the dealer to deal with some brake and suspension issues. I do not have the hardware (yet) to do those things home and I have not had time to find a good indy around where I live. If you know of someone in the North Dallas area that could help me with my 1800 please let me know.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
Mr. Head, I have lived and traveled throughout this country. I have dealt with no less than 10-15 dealers. I have 7 in my local area. At one time or another before I started fixing my own bike ad others I like most took my bike(s) to the (s)DEALERS. I have seen stripped bolts /screws, tires mounted back wards, steering stem nuts tightened with a chisel, bolts not tightened, parts not installed correctly, brakes installed incorrectly, wires broken, scratches, incorrect amount of oil in the engine, coolant leaks that they charge you to repair but still leaks etc.
So far the so called dealers are my best friend....if it weren't for them I wouldn't have any work..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts