Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My initial reaction to raked forks was that they weren't for me, but the more I see them the more I think I like them. What are the different degrees of forked rakes available for a 2008 1300R? Can you provide pics if you have them. What else was needed to complete the mod (ie. headlight extension, for extensions)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
my old bike

Here is a pic of my retro with 8* trees from VTX-TREME before all the other mods that I did.
They look great, handle great and the top triple tree is beautiful compared to the stock one.
I went with 4" fork extensions. In retrospect I may have went with 2-3" extensions pureley
for cosmetic reasons. The front of the bike was raised slightly higher then the rear with the custim shocks
I had. The front fork covers also need to be modified because they are too short once you
extend the forks themselves. Hope this helps!

This is what she looks like now:

JAGGER

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
ok guys, normally I'd do the search and not to hijack his/her thread, but since it's already posted and information would probably be helpful to the poster too, give some details. Are those stock wheels I see. What all is necessary to do the 6 or 8" rake? I want to spend as little as necessary? I'm not cheap, but I still have alot of dreams:D in mind.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would also be interested in this information. This is a mod that I've been looking at as well. Wondering what kind of $$ investment I'd be lookin at here, parts to buy...etc

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Maybe I can help clarify somewhat here and save you folks some trouble...To rake the front end of the VTX, most folks start with a set of raked Triple Trees. These will replace the stock triple trees completely. Many different companies sell different set-ups and styles. Some are open on top, some arent, some are polished, some are chromed, some are 6* some are 8*...lots of choices there. You will need to research to find which one you like. As far as cost? You are looking at anywhere from $450.00-$800.00 for a triple tree kit. Sometimes you can find them used on eBay for cheaper but this is the ballpark for cost on these things.

When you install the new triple trees, you had better replace the steering head bearings while you are at it, because the process to disassemble your triple trees is the exact same process you would have to do if you were just replacing the bearings anyway. It would be FOOLISH to not replace them, so just plan on doing it. The cost for an All Balls Bearing Replacement Kit shouldn't run you more than $50.00 at most places.

The next issue that comes into play are the forks. When you rake the front end of your bike, you essentially lower the front end at the same time. I'm not sure what the exact number is, but the front end will drop significantly. To compensate for this, most people buy fork extensions. They usually come in 2", 3", and 4" increments. The price on these can vary as well- depending on which ones you choose-but, normally, a pair will run you about $80.00. So which length is right for you? Again, you need to figure that out on your own. Factors such as rear shock length, degree of rake and trail numbers all come into play with this decision. Do your homework and you will be just fine.

What about the brake lines? As far as front brake lines go, I personally had plenty of length on my stock brake line; and then some. Granted, this was an 04 1300C but, honestly, I don't believe that a new brake line is necessary on any of our stock 1300's, but (and there is ALWAYS a BUT), YMMV.

Another issue that will be encountered with a rake job is your headlight. Remember that your headlight is mounted to your triple trees so when you change them around, funny things can happen. Usually, the headlight looses some of it's protrusion length due to the increased angle of the new mounting surface on the new Triple Trees you just installed. To solve this, you can buy a headlight extension bracket that extends the headlight forward and back out to where it should be. You should be able to get a nice chrome one for around $40.00.

Problem solved? Not yet. Unfortunately, after you have raked the front end and extended your headlight, the headlight is now pretty far out of adjustment. Most people would think that loosening a few nuts and adjusting the lamp back into position would be all that it takes...NOT! It can NEVER be that easy! You will loose most of the ability to aim the headlight back downward. Even when aimed all the way down, the headlamp still points too high. You can get it close, but not all the way. I recommend getting this fixed ASAP because:
A) Your light will not illuminate the road properly and
B) You could be blinding oncoming traffic with an out of adjustment headlamp. :yikes:

Fortunately, the remedy for this is a cheap one. You just need to buy yourself some "wedge" shaped washers and install them under the headlamp bracket. This will, in effect, allow you to securely aim the headlamp back down to a safe angle and make the world all fine and dandy again. The washers can be bought online at McMaster-Carr and the part number can be found with a search of these forums (sorry, don't know it off the top of my head-comes with old-age!).

Unfortunately, this ended up being way longer than I intended, and I apologize for the ramble, but I hope that it clarifies some of the mystery of the rake question for some of you and, more importantly, helps others get the job done easier and safer! :thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts

I have thought of a rake as my last mod. Lots of good info on the post. Thank you

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Great post born.

I would also add, most people get shorter rear shocks to help keep the trail within an acceptable range. I went with 10.5" Kingpins.

I was recently able to get my headlight aligned right, by bending the crap out of the mount. So far so good.

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
Very nice and I believe way over priced. What Born just described probably won't cost us half that. I think it could stand a little more research. At least for me that is.:shock: Of course these are some pretty drastic rakings. I don't want to go out that far.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Thinking of doing 9* with 6 over tubes.
Before you commit, try to ride an X with an 8 degree rake.

One thing that hasn't been discussed is turn radius. The greater the rake angle, the greater your turn radius will become. In other words, from 2 lane u-turns to 4 lane u-turns.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Before you commit, try to ride an X with an 8 degree rake.

One thing that hasn't been discussed is turn radius. The greater the rake angle, the greater your turn radius will become. In other words, from 2 lane u-turns to 4 lane u-turns.
That's good food for thought. :shock:

Research is key here folks! With some of those "Chopper Rake Kits" you are basically turning your perfectly viable highway cruiser into a bar Hopper...all for around $1800.00? Yikes...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Just for the mathematically inept, based on BornOnFire's write-up, your total ballpark is:

Triple Tree's - 450 to 800
Alls Balls Bearings - 50
Fork Extensions - 80
Headlight Ext. - 40

So about 620 to about 970.

Definitely in the "do a bunch of research and find one to test ride" range!

:thumbup:

(WARNING: All figures will plump when you cook them, that's why we call 'em ballparks!)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Yeah my rake ran about $600 not including the new bars, grips, mirrors and stuff like that that didn't have to be changed.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
You absolutely might not need extensions but be careful as the front will drop down significantly without extensions. Your ground clearance is going to diminish and your pegs are probably going to be touching down quite frequently. Just my opinion but if you absolutely do not want to run extensions I would run the 6* trees over the 7* ones. G-man has posted in the past the 2" extensions are absolutely required for his 8* trees and that no extensions where required with the 6* (with 19" cast wheels) but ground clearance will suffer. If you believe G-man's numbers then I would think that 7* trees would require at least 1" extensions minimum, but that's an opinion and opinions are like *******s....everyone's got one.

i am going to go with the Mortons, they told me i wouldn't need extensions and they are a 7* and the price is good here's the link http://www.mortonscustom.com/hondatrees.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts