Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Old Goat
24,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will never understand the dumb SOB’s that insist on shooting guns into the air...last night sounded like a war zone....I swear there was more gunfire than fireworks.....I think I even heard full auto...I have a new roof and fear for its safety....

“HAPPY SAFE NEW YEAR”

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
not just roof's...

every year several people are injured or killed from bullets returning to earth..

the number is ....... a bunch

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=number+of+people+injured+from+buttets+falling+back+to+earth

Texas is working on a law to make it illegal

https://www.txgunsense.org/articles/stop-celebratory-gunfire
https://www.houstontx.gov/legislative-report-2019/unfinished-business/hb-86-celebratory-gunfire.html

TennX.... same here... much more then in Ohio.
it was a crazy night.

·
Old Goat
24,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed Chuck...for me the danger is a given....:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Agreed Chuck...for me the danger is a given....:thumbup::thumbup:
My area sounded like a war zone last night, not sure how many were firecrackers or guns but being that it's Arizona and the "rougher" side of town i'd say it's a fair amount of guns. :surprise:

·
Registered
15 Posts
When we lived in Memphis we lived in the Hickory Hill area. We now live in the St. Louis area. We have more gunshots here than we ever did there. Normally we play fireworks or gunfire. Last night they didn't even bother with the fireworks. I don't understand it either. Now to check my roof for any stray bullet holes

·
Old Goat
24,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When we lived in Memphis we lived in the Hickory Hill area. We now live in the St. Louis area. We have more gunshots here than we ever did there. Normally we play fireworks or gunfire. Last night they didn't even bother with the fireworks. I don't understand it either. Now to check my roof for any stray bullet holes
Glad u made it out....I’m 72 ..lived all my life here...live in the house my parents bought brand new in 1952...this was the worst year yet....:crying: ...

·
Super Moderator
6,135 Posts
I will never understand the dumb SOB’s that insist on shooting guns into the air...last night sounded like a war zone....I swear there was more gunfire than fireworks.....I think I even heard full auto...I have a new roof and fear for its safety....

“HAPPY SAFE NEW YEAR”

Good thing you don't live in the middle east Phil. There they fire guns into the air for no reason at all it seems. A lot.

I'm a bit of an old grump. I hate firecrackers and fireworks just about as much. People seemed to be drawn to a boom sound. So much so that they'll do it over and over again. I don't see the point. But then, I'm a bit of an old grump.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
in 1975... our motorcycle group had a forth of July party... at one members home.

they had fireworks.. in the front yard..

one of the large ones... the fuse went out... the owner of home and fireworks re-lit the firework
it exploded in his face.. he died a minute or 2 later.. in front of everyone.. including his children.

Wife and I have never went to a fireworks display since then.. not even the ones put on by the City.

Life is dangerous.. pick the ones carefully.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Worse than the noise, I can't tell ether cannons or fireworks from gunfire, is that I tripped and spilled my Old #7 all over the hardwood floors. The single malt was gone and there was only enough #7 to do a toast and I messed that up.

But the New Year was ushered in just fine judging by the noise. Happy New Year!

·
Registered
293 Posts
My riding buddy's big brother, which also happens to be a retired police chief here in town, said his pickup was shot with a .45. I asked him how he knew it was a .45 and he said because the bullet came down through the canopy and he found it laying in the bed of his pickup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Glad u made it out....I’m 72 ..lived all my life here...live in the house my parents bought brand new in 1952...this was the worst year yet....:crying: ...
I was glad I made it out of there when we did. From what I heard it went south fast. This was 14 years ago.

Kinda cool though that you've been in the same house all this time. Don't see that too much anymore.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
Maybe it’s my inner redneck or just my normal childishness, but I’ve always been a fan of ‘splosions. :D. From my perspective, huge fireworks are fantastic. However, I will agree that skyward discharges of firearms is very foolish and inappropriate.

·
Old Goat
24,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe it’s my inner redneck or just my normal childishness, but I’ve always been a fan of ‘splosions. :D. From my perspective, huge fireworks are fantastic. However, I will agree that skyward discharges of firearms is very foolish and inappropriate.
I got no problem with fireworks....matter of fact back in the day my dad was known for his displays...local DJ Dewey Phillips had a show “Red,hot and Blue” use to jokingly complain about my dad...as mentioned shooting in the air....:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,861 Posts

·
Old Goat
24,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
We had a 'WILD' New Year's Eve!!!

We watched the recorded (We rarely watch live TV) National News, followed by the local news, Wheel Of Fortune, and a few minutes of FOX News Channel. The three previous days had been long and I was tired.

At 8:30 p.m., we couldn't stand it any longer!!! WENT TO BED!! Slept until 5:00 a.m. New Years Day!

Great way to spend New Year's Eve!!!

Joe T.

·
Old Goat
24,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Generally when there is a holiday that requires fireworks its a 2-day event....New Years Night unusually quiet.....maybe the word got out...:thumbup: ...(insert fingers crossed emoji here)

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
the numbers keep going up..

here in Texas..

a 2 year old.. no report on amount of damage but did receive a bullet injury.

a 11 year old girl... a bullet in the shoulder...

this country is to populated for this type of stupid-ness

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Pretty sure the shooting up in the air causes anything is bullchit, myself. Do people really buy into that? Are my physics off? That isn't likely to injure you, much less kill you. No more than would a bullet thrown, anyway. It's the idiots shooting "kind of" up or some clown aiming not too much higher then level that cause these injuries/occurrences.

I don't shoot straight up (or anywhere else) on the 4th or NYE, to be clear.

Now last night,...
>:)

·
Super Moderator
6,135 Posts
Well,
Of the millions of rounds fired into the sky by trigger-happy celebrants, most land innocently in empty land. Fortunately, the impact of a falling bullet is much less than that of one fired directly at a target. Major General Julian Hatch, a U.S. Army firearms expert, did extensive testing on ballistics and falling projectiles in the 20’s. He calculated that .30 caliber rounds will reach terminal velocities of 300 feet per second (90 m/s) on descent, and determined that, while most bullets will leave a small dent in the ground when they land, that same bullet travelling between 200 to 330 feet per second can still penetrate human skin. The experience of many hospitalized and killed innocents validate his conclusions.

The popular scientists on the TV show, Mythbusters experimented with the premise that “Bullets fired into the air maintain their lethal capability when they eventually fall back down.” They found that a bullet fired straight up (an almost impossible achievement for a human), will tumble on its return trip and falls at a slower rate due to terminal velocity. In addition, they found that a bullet in this circumstance is therefore less lethal on impact. However, they also discovered that a bullet fired at a non-vertical angle will be able to maintain its speed enough to be very destructive on impact. In determining if the myth was ‘Busted’, ‘Plausible’ or ‘Confirmed’, they proposed that this myth would receive all three ratings at the same time.

The whole explanation

1 - 20 of 30 Posts