Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was any way to lighten the load on my 03 VTX 1800C. I was wanting to make it a Rat Rod/Doomsday look. Any advice?

·
Old Goat
24,406 Posts
Check out Madmax.com ...joking.....good luck on the build... (y)

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
looks sure,

weight NO..

final drive system
cooling system
heavy flywheel
heavy counter-balancer.
computer and fuel injection system.

why do you think the "F" is the lightest of the VTX1800...
not counting the heavy stock exhaust system..

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
1800C has a heavy muffler, lose it.
Rear shocks are heavy - solid struts or air suspension.
I saw a few custom rat rods, one VTX that was not changed much.
A Bobber could be something without extreme changes.
Remove chrome covers.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
why do you think the "F" is the lightest of the VTX1800...
Nobody said that...
My guess, the "C" is the lightest.
As Hans said, mufflers, rear shocks, chrome covers and fenders, passenger saddle, speedo, different handlebar...
Not too much weight can be removed. The heaviest parts are essential parts of the bike.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was wondering if there was any way to lighten the load on my 03 VTX 1800C.

I was wanting to make it a Rat Rod/Doomsday look.

Any advice?
You can actually remove quite a bit of weight from a VTX1800. Just start removing everything from it that is not necessary for it to run/operate. You can even go as far as removing one of the front brake rotors and the caliper on that side if that is your thing. Replace the steel handlebars with aluminum. Take one of the mirrors off. Remove all of the beauty chrome from the entire bike. Remove the fenders. Remove the side covers. Certainly remove the heavy stock exhaust and replace it with something lighter. There are several pounds of steel in the frame that aren't absolutely necessary and could be cut off.

That's just to name some of the 'stuff' that you could do. There's more.

When my '02 S model burned up in the shop fire in '15 I just started whoppin' and choppin' and didn't stop until I had a street legal version of a ride to tide me over until I could do something different with it (it has been through 2 more iterations of versions since that time and I'm not finished with it yet. Maybe I never will be truly through with it). To have more of a 'doomsday' look to it I guess I could have left more of the goopy fire burned look on it.

Anyway:

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
My advice; DON'T......just DON'T.

Save yourself a lot of effort by simply buying a rusty old neglected bike that runs and go from there. That way you'll not own a FAKE rat bike but a real one. That way you're not f-ing up a perfectly awesome bike that will outlive you and make people shake their head and ask 'why'?

If you want your bike to look like hell, take a blowtorch to everthing you can blacket and burn without causing real damage to function (wires). Next, get some brake fluid and pour it all over the tank to bubble the paint off, and then get some acid and stain the chrome with spills. Next take a hammer to most of the metal. Sand the chrome that's left, and leave it wet outside for a couple of weeks for a good rust effect. Spokes must be loaded with rust, so sand them all down to the raw metal.

Take off the rear fender and chicken wire a plastic crate onto the struts and fill the crate with stuff a homeless person would carry. Get a ratty old blanket and roll it up and secure it to the handlebars. Put a rusty wire cover over your headlight. Google 'rat bikes' in Google images and copy whatever you like.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the advice. And y'all have some good looking bikes. I'll give the advice given a try
IMG_20151030_121114.jpg
0629191532.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts