Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve tried searching but not sure if what I’m getting is the speedometer housing rattle that’s talked about or not.
It started out as a very slight rattle/vibration that sound like metal to me.
Now it’s more severe and louder.
It happens when I’m at to top of each gear and ready to shift. At 75 mph, it’s pretty much constant.
I’ve tried pushing down on the nacelle but the rattle doesn’t stop.
I’ve tried pushing down on the speedometer face but the rattle doesn’t stop.
I’ve tried pushing down on the gas cap but the rattle doesn’t stop.
I’m thinking the easy attempt at a fix is to remove the 5 allen screws on the top of the chrome housing and put rubber washers there as seen in a utube video I found.
I’m not very handy but this seems fairly easy.
Your thoughts and input are appreciated.

Greg

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
I am pretty sure my radiator cover started vibrating a few years ago at high RPMs, and still does.
I rarely go to the high RPM range but it happens and I hear it then.

It is loose in the mounting.
I thought about adding some RTV at the mounting places.

·
Old Goat
24,802 Posts
For me the speedo housing was more of a buzzing...what pipes u running..check heat shields...also Ive seen shock covers crack/break and rattle...good luck

As I recall the wiring harness inside the head light bucket had a rattle....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You’re right TennX. Buzzing is a much better description.
Anyway, This morning I removed the housing and installed rubber O-rings where the 5 top screws are.
I’d say that the buzzing is 90% gone now.
I know I read something about the actually speedometer head to fix the other 10% but now I’m trying to find a thread with and explanation for dummies (me).

·
Old Goat
24,802 Posts
You’re right TennX. Buzzing is a much better description.
Anyway, This morning I removed the housing and installed rubber O-rings where the 5 top screws are.
I’d say that the buzzing is 90% gone now.
I know I read something about the actually speedometer head to fix the other 10% but now I’m trying to find a thread with and explanation for dummies (me).
Any easy way to search google is ...your key words followed by VTXOA

https://www.google.com/search?q=speedo+buzz+vtxoa&rlz=1C9BKJA_enUS794US794&oq=speedo+buzz+vtxoa&aqs=chrome..69i57.8344j0j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

1 - 5 of 5 Posts