Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started hearing a (metal type) rattle at low speeds which I only hear when I don't wear a helmet, in the summertime here in FL that's quite often. Anyway, I checked the speedo housing, radiator cover, and windshield with negative results. I believe I have it narrowed down to the heat shield on my top-most pipe, I have Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes.

The bottom pipe has about 3 fasteners throughout its length and it's solid, the top one has 0 and I can easily move the shield back and forth with my hand, as it's only fastened at the very back towards the exhaust opening. Is this normal?

I've had these pipes for some time now and love them (a bit hot but oh well), I may have had a fastener which dropped along the way, I really don't know since the dealer did the install. What can I do here?

As always, thank you.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Since you had the dealer install them, and now the heat shield is loose. I'd first talk to the dealer and see if they can fix it for you. They should do it for free, but will probly try to get out of it for any reasons at all. Stand your ground and you can make them do the work for ya :wink:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's fine, but how can I fasten them myself? What hardware would I need and where would I attach it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the cobra speedster shorts. they used worm clamps to hold the heat shield to the pipes. inside the heat shield is a metal tab that you slide the worm clamp through to it can pull the heat shield tight. I hate to say it but you may have to take the heat shield off to see this metal tab...and then to thread the worm clamp through it.

I know when I installed them one of the worm clamps I couldn't get all the way around the pipe and I decided to leave it off ( I had enough of that project ) So far its been fine.

Again, Ive got the cobra speedster shorts. it could be a different set up, but I doubt it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
raging56 said:
I have the cobra speedster shorts. they used worm clamps to hold the heat shield to the pipes. inside the heat shield is a metal tab that you slide the worm clamp through to it can pull the heat shield tight. I hate to say it but you may have to take the heat shield off to see this metal tab...and then to thread the worm clamp through it.

I know when I installed them one of the worm clamps I couldn't get all the way around the pipe and I decided to leave it off ( I had enough of that project ) So far its been fine.

Again, Ive got the cobra speedster shorts. it could be a different set up, but I doubt it.

Good luck!
yeah, I have the slashdowns and the clamps are used to hold the heat shields on.

I too could not get one of them on, but it was one of the three on the bottom.

I had to bend the tab out a little on mine to feed the hose clamp through and the top clamp on the top pipe (rear jug) needed two sets of hands.

If you can move that top heat shield, and there are no hose clamps, the only fastener keeping it on is the slashcut tip set screw.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
http://www.cobrausa.com/pdf/1830.pdf

above is the PDF file with the instructions for slashdowns. It says there are 5 hose clamps.

there is another more heavy duty clamp shown in the instructions. There is only one of these and it is used on the bottom pipe to clamp the bottom head pipe to the crossover/muffler assembly.

so really you should see 4 clamps onthe bottom pipe and 2 on the top pipe.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Can you give us a larger image of your avatar? Not sure what you were asking.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your input. I'm guessing I'm going to have to take the damn things down to see just where those missing clamps go. Will probably go purchase a couple of clamps from Lowes tomorrow.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts