Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
love the pipes but the rattles and vibrations. i have done the headlight
mod and lined the inside of the bucket with material from a furance filter.
checked all the shield clamps and rechecked the torque on the flange
nuts. but it still ratttles. lite throttle, tinny sound almost like a preingiton
or ping. not there on hard or moderate throttle. only does it going down
the road. wont do it just reving it up. any more ideas . help me ! help me ! please :?: :?:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I would check if your heat shield clamps are hitting the frame at the bottom or if the shield is hitting the right front engine cover that has the Honda label stamped on it. Mine rattled a bit and then it went away. Recently I made a change and when I took my pipes off I noticed my frame has been dug into by the pipe clamp and my cover has a groove where the pipe dug into it as well. I'm assuming that's what was rattling and has since gone away since it ate it away. Once I replaced the pipes I put a towel under the pipes and tightened them so they stay off the bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
How about the radiator shroud/cover? Shouldn't make much noise if it's loose since it's plastic, probably wouldn't make any at all for that matter except maybe the wire screen in front, but they are kind of flimsy. Might be worth a check.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had that same problem. Only buzzed when riding, not at idle or reving it in the drive. I rode it long enough to heat the pipes and heat sheild clamps up and gave each clamp nut a 1/4 turn and that fixed it right up. Two months later it developed a slight buz and I repeated the process and that was a year ago. no problems since.
Just be very careful not to torque them too hard I have heard of poeple snapin those clamps. As I recall the first time I did this I had on nut that I took 1/2 turn on because it felt losser than the rest and was afraid I would snap it but it didn't.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have an 03 retro model with Big Shots and I had the same problem when I added the pipes. My forward cylinder heat shield was touching the right floorboard mount only at one certain RPM. I backed out one of the floorboard bolts and added a washer between the frame and the floorboard bracket which gave enough clearance to remedy the problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
301 Posts
exactly the same prob i had arkie. found that i needed two washers on the rear and one on the front bolt holding the floorboard on. then i found one thick washer S/S washer to replace the doubled up one in the back(it was supplemental parts for a new bagger for my lawn mower = to 2 1/2 washers :lol: ) the washer in the front bolt meaning the longer front bolt(not the little one the bolts to the down-tube).

good luck cag

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HEY HEY I GOT IT !!!!!

thanks for all the help fellow xers. i tried everything you mention and still had a rattle. here is a new fix for you. i had the tank off this winter to have it flamed and i sure don't remember a bushing on the rear tank bolt.
but thats what it was the tank would rattle in the bolt boss. so i cut a length of clear plastic hose from lowes and slid it into the tank boss. reinstalled the bolt and tighten it down and low and behold all is silent. no more rattles. thanks for all the great ideas
the cag :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also checked the mileage with the bigshots

second tank with the bigshots on stock air intake no power comander or fuel management system, not hard riding just 65 to 70mph and i got 36 mpg.
just about the same as i was getting before installing the bigshots
maybe a little better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts