Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Painted the engine while I had some stuff powdercoated and removed all that I could to file and polish the fins. Removed carb and thought I had it all figured out, now the bike won't start. I know I did not install the throttle cables right the first time because movement on the handlebars was backwards. So the carb was basically dry and I left the tank off because I was installing new anti-freeze in the system and trying to burp it. Had a plastic bowl rigged as a temp gas tank to keep the bike running to burp the cooling system. Bike would not start even after trying to twist the throttle a few times. Also attempted to use the choke once but no sputter or nothing. One question off the top is when you crack open the throttle on the handlebars is the vaccum piston supposed to move up and down? Any help from family X would be greatly appreciated.

IT LOOKS GOOD SETTIN'

·
Registered
243 Posts
You say you are using a bowl for a fuel tank? If you are siphoning the gas do you have all the air out of your fuel hose?

·
Registered
353 Posts
The vaccum piston will only move up and down when the motor is running it moves off vaccum . Is the bike turning over if not it could be the kill switch is on ? You could take the carb bowl off and fill it with gas and then try it it should run for minute ot two if it does not fire it might be electrical something un pluged ? good luck

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Metric Mark said:
So it's not getting any fuel? Or is it a cable issue?
It was hard for me to tell if I was getting any fuel as I was dripping some gas on the left side. The cable appears to be installed right this time as it operates like it did before the removal.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wbi7686 said:
You say you are using a bowl for a fuel tank? If you are siphoning the gas do you have all the air out of your fuel hose?
Probably not. Bike was apart for about 10 days and everything was dry.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yo_odie said:
The vaccum piston will only move up and down when the motor is running it moves off vaccum . Is the bike turning over if not it could be the kill switch is on ? You could take the carb bowl off and fill it with gas and then try it it should run for minute ot two if it does not fire it might be electrical something un pluged ? good luck
Thanks because I was wonderin' if the piston moved with the bike off but was not for sure. Bike IS turning over, lights are on, etc. I will take the carb bowl off now and put some gas in it and get back with you guys. Thanks again everyone for the help, gotta be something simple. :)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I went back through the manual and checked to make sure I had all the lines connected right and it was all okay. So, before I did anything else I went ahead and installed the gas tank, hooked-up the vaccum lines and it tried but nothing....until I turned the gas line on. Fired right up, now I just need to tighten my exhaust up a little more and finish filling up the anti-freeze. Thanks everyone, glad it was that easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts