Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the looks, power, and feel of the 1300c but two things are causing me to hesitate:

1) Long ride comfort. After a 20 minute test ride on a 2006, I had a little butt fatigue and felt like I needed about another inch of leg room. I'm 5'11" and 215 lbs. I don't know if I would adapt to this riding position (I'm currently riding a Shadow Spirit 1100) or if this will be an ongoing problem. Anyone have this problem and solved it? I believe an aftermarket seat is part of the answer.

2) Ground clearance. I've read a few reviews which indicate that the ground clearance creates problems during tight turns. I'm not real agressive in the curves but it's nice to know that you can lean into one without fear of grinding the peg/sidestand and losing control. Do you VTXers have experience with this concern?

Thanks for your replies and hoping to join the ranks soon!

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
More than likely, you'll be changing some stuff out. There are very few people who are riding around with a totally stock bike, no matter who the manufacturer is. Some items I changed out/added for a more comfortable ride were the seat, handlebars & highway pegs. There are aftermarket forward controls that will move your feet out a little more. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam, so the stock peg location is fine for me, but the highway pegs give my legs a longer stretch and a different angle to put my feet up.

As for the leaning aspect, this bike can go over quite a bit without any issues of going down. The front pegs fold up, so if you do happen to drag a peg, you won't be launched. If you switch to aftermarket forward controls, you'll have to be more careful...some of them don't fold up and can cause problems.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I really like the looks, power, and feel of the 1300c but two things are causing me to hesitate:

1) Long ride comfort. After a 20 minute test ride on a 2006, I had a little butt fatigue and felt like I needed about another inch of leg room. I'm 5'11" and 215 lbs. I don't know if I would adapt to this riding position (I'm currently riding a Shadow Spirit 1100) or if this will be an ongoing problem. Anyone have this problem and solved it? I believe an aftermarket seat is part of the answer.

2) Ground clearance. I've read a few reviews which indicate that the ground clearance creates problems during tight turns. I'm not real agressive in the curves but it's nice to know that you can lean into one without fear of grinding the peg/sidestand and losing control. Do you VTXers have experience with this concern?

Thanks for your replies and hoping to join the ranks soon!
The stock Seat SUXXXXX!!!!! change it or have it modded at mean city cycles. These bikes sit a ride totally different than a Shadow 1100. My buddy has a Saber 1100 and I ride it all the time. BIG difference. So do not try to compare them. The sit different, handle different and weigh different.

I am a VERY aggresive rider and have no problems with the bike in corners. the scraps on the bottom of my pegs and pipes will show that. I have zero ground clearance problems and I weight 270lbs. I am also 6' tall with a 33-34 inch inseam and do not have much problem there either. Get hiway pegs though. you can go with or without crash bars for this.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
The VTX1300 actually has more legroom than any of the Shadows. There are several options for adding legroom from Jdub forwards ($130) to Accutronix forwards ($550+).

Many folks change to an aftermarket seat. These can range from $300 and up. Another option is having the stock seat reshaped and rebuilt by www.meancitycycles.com for $60 and up.

As a matter of fact, there are options for just about any issue you may have with this bike.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a 1300 C am 5'11" and am a little over 200 lbs. I have installed a ultimate low rider seat and kurry highway pegs. I love the comboniation. I picked the bike up in Florida and had the seat dropped to Florida, installed the seat and rode it home to NJ in two days, no problem. The end of this month I will be riding to Stirgus with my two sons and can't wait. As far as low clearence, not a problem at all. One thing I will tell you is you will most likely want is 4"risers on the bars. This will take all the strain off of your neck back and shoulders. All in all I give her a 10+, hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
:agree: with all said above. If it has a stock seat, that will be the first thing to mod. I have a mustang seat, I'm 5'10 with a 32" inseam, 200lbs. As for ground clearance, the orginal springs maybe weak/soft and maybe causing the low clearance. I have ISO wing pegs and that lets me move my feet around more. Aftermarket springs are around 70 bucks and easy to do.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam. i stay totally comfortable on long rides minus some butt burn after about the last 20 miles before a fuel stop. Had my seat modded by badx but i think i'm just a little to heavy (275lbs) for a modded stock seat. i sat on a mustang seat and i think that would by my animal.

but if you're only 5'11" you should have no problem with long ride comfort on your X.

·
Registered
12 Posts
well i just bought my 05 1300c and it rides great with just me and very with me and my girlfriend,,,so i have no complaints yet

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I've got over 25,000 miles on my 2005R with a stock seat. I'm 6' and 220 lbs. I've never really had any problems with the stock seat, but everybody's different. (Maybe I have more natural padding).

·
Registered
705 Posts
The 1300C and pretty much any model comes from the factory all the same. Us riders are all pretty much different, so we can spend a lot of time and money making these bikes fit us. A different seat can fix that butt fatigue and put you a little further back for the leg room you need.
That was my first mod. Then a set of risers, windshield, pipes, different grips, pegs, chrome this, and chrome that...
The bike fits just about right now.:doorag:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
From my point of view!

I have 2 VTX model C bikes, my 2up bike has a mustang seat that feels to set me back farther from the foot pegs and handlebars, so with the Mustang seat alone could possibly solve two of your problems. My other C bike has the stock seat, so I can feel the difference.
The bikes have never had any clearance problems, althought I am easy on the curves. You will be happy with a VTX 1300C, for the money, these are just real sweet bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, all, for your quick replies and great advice on the VTX question. Sounds like a new seat is definitely in my future and may solve the legroom issue, too. You've got some great looking bikes and I appreciate the pictures. Now, do I spend $500 on the Mustang or go with the BadX mod at a much lower price?

·
Registered
14 Posts
recommend 1300

i know im new on here, but id highly recommend the 1300. great manueverability, even on corners, and i have hung it a time or two...not good.

definitely change out the seat. my husband is 6.2, he rode it with stock seat no problems. it also had stock handlebars. i put a mustang seat on it and it scooted me up and provided extra support. i also added highway bars to stretch my legs out on, and swapped out to retro 1800 handlebars.

so you could consider adding highway bars if you dont drive too aggressively, keep stock c handlebars, consider a seat that sits farther back than the stock seat.....i have spare parts if you wanna buy them, ask fuzzywuzzy what he'd take for them!!!

you'll like the bike. customize it to fit you!!:grin:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just BUY IT!!! You won't be sorry.
I don't think the factory seat is comfortable on ANY bike. No matter what you tell yourself, you'll be doing some customizing to your bike. I'm 6'1", 200 lbs. and I can go a full tank without any real comfort issues. There's lots of things that you can do to make the seat more comfortable.
As for the curves.....There's no clearance issues that I've come across. I'll hit the twisties pretty aggressively once in a while. You'll be surprised how far you can get away with leaning these things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts