Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old Goat
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the OD in inches of the rear axle on my R my caliper battery is dead :dontknow:. thanks

·
Old Goat
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correction.
.7874 or 20mm.
Many thanks but Im challenged what would that translate into , Im looking to get a wooden dowel the same size as the axle (dont ask :dontknow:)

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
You're probably not gonna find a wooden dowel to fit. Wood fluctuates a bit in size, but a 3/4" dowel would be .750 . That's just over 1/32" too small. You probably can't find a 25/32" dowel, but 25/32" is .0064 under 20mm. That's pretty dang close. How close of a fit do you need? What are you trying to do?

·
Registered
442 Posts
TennX - you may be able to find a 20mm dowel - if not 3/4" is as close as I think you can get. You can easily find a 20mm bolt if that will work.

I want to ask why But I read it (Don't Ask)..Good Luck there:thumbup:

·
Old Goat
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're probably not gonna find a wooden dowel to fit. Wood fluctuates a bit in size, but a 3/4" dowel would be .750 . That's just over 1/32" too small. You probably can't find a 25/32" dowel, but 25/32" is .0064 under 20mm. That's pretty dang close. How close of a fit do you need? What are you trying to do?
Im trying to get the stuff together to do the foots,(I know , I know) and cant find anything in the garage to drive the axle out, Im getting out later and was going to get a hardwood dowel. Thanks for the input, I can barely read a ruler.:dontknow:

·
Old Goat
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TennX - you may be able to find a 20mm dowel - if not 3/4" is as close as I think you can get. You can easily find a 20mm bolt if that will work.

I want to ask why But I read it (Don't Ask)..Good Luck there:thumbup:
Many thanks, I just really didnt want to go into the whole Im trying to get my foots mod started :mrgreen::dontknow: if youve been reading my saga , Im the worlds :firstplace: procrastinator.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Ah-ha!!!!

A 3/4 down would be fine for that then. Also, just about anything with a point on the tip. (aka: phillips screw driver) The axle has a center drill hole in the threaded end that you can center the screwdriver on. Unless the axle is bound, you only need to drive it out far enough to grab the head and pull it out. It helps to hold the rim up with your other hand while pulling the axle out. That will remove any tension from the weight of the wheel.

·
Old Goat
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah-ha!!!!

A 3/4 down would be fine for that then. Also, just about anything with a point on the tip. (aka: phillips screw driver) The axle has a center drill hole in the threaded end that you can center the screwdriver on. Unless the axle is bound, you only need to drive it out far enough to grab the head and pull it out. It helps to hold the rim up with your other hand while pulling the axle out. That will remove any tension from the weight of the wheel.
Dont git all excited :mrgreen: , Im just in the planning to do it stage, not the Im getting ready to do it stage :yikes:I thought about a screw driver and the like but I figured the dowel would be more forgiving. Thanks again for all the input. have a good one

·
Registered
442 Posts
Phil, You getting this done so you can ride it up to Fredricksburg in June? You've only got 5 more months to go.:D

·
Old Goat
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phil, You getting this done so you can ride it up to Fredricksburg in June? You've only got 5 more months to go.:D
5 months hell, piece o cake, Ive only had the parts for 6. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Phil -

'bout time you at least started to plan on getting things together.

I guess that some folks just like to plan things out very thoroughly. This is so that they don't run into any problems when the time to get motivated and actually do some work rolls around. Just like your signature line says -
TennX said:
"Man Up ,:tools: up,Do it yourself"
Holler if you need anything. I'll do what I can to confuse :dontknow:, oops I mean help you, if you need it.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
..LOL..don't be skeered..jack er up and git er done..all ya need is BFH and few assorted hand tools..and once you take a couple a parts off, the rest will come easy..trust me..:lol:..

·
Old Goat
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Phil -

'bout time you at least started to plan on getting things together.

I guess that some folks just like to plan things out very thoroughly. This is so that they don't run into any problems when the time to get motivated and actually do some work rolls around. Just like your signature line says -
Holler if you need anything. I'll do what I can to confuse :dontknow:, oops I mean help you, if you need it.
Many Thanks, maybe I need to add "when you gots the time" to my sig. line:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Dont git all excited :mrgreen: , Im just in the planning to do it stage, not the Im getting ready to do it stage :yikes:I thought about a screw driver and the like but I figured the dowel would be more forgiving. Thanks again for all the input. have a good one
Don't sweat the axle,like Hick said it doesn't take very much at all to get it out far enough to pull out..............I used a 1/4" brass rod that I slipped between the pipes.................piece of cake...............:D Rod

·
Old Goat
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't sweat the axle,like Hick said it doesn't take very much at all to get it out far enough to pull out..............I used a 1/4" brass rod that I slipped between the pipes.................piece of cake...............:D Rod
Thanks, my friggin cobra slipons are right in the way, I had planned on selling them anyway so no biggie to pull them.:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Thanks, my friggin cobra slipons are right in the way, I had planned on selling them anyway so no biggie to pull them.:dontknow:
I have read that the pipes must be pulled to get to the axle bolt ...................I used a large open-end wrench to remove mine.When I reassembled,including the swing arm I had enough swing(with shocks removed)to put a socket on it with my torque wrench without fooling with the pipes.So with shocks removed & the help of a small automotive floor jack with a small section of 2X6 bolted to it,it was easy...............even working alone :thumbup:...............Good luck!!! Now get er done!!!.................Rod :D

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I have read that the pipes must be pulled to get to the axle bolt ...................I used a large open-end wrench to remove mine.When I reassembled,including the swing arm I had enough swing(with shocks removed)to put a socket on it with my torque wrench without fooling with the pipes.So with shocks removed & the help of a small automotive floor jack with a small section of 2X6 bolted to it,it was easy...............even working alone :thumbup:...............Good luck!!! Now get er done!!!.................Rod :D
If you remove the shocks it should lower or raise where the pipes aren't in the way of the axle, you can put off the pipes to a more convenient time 8)

·
Old Goat
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rod and DD,

The cobra bracket runs under the swing arm and stops it from dropping down as far as it would normally go with or without the shocks, now with the shocks removed I could go the other way, as I mentioned I most likely will sell the pipes so its no biggie. thanks for the tips.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts