Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just removed this side mount license plate bracket that was installed on the axle. When i got to looking at it, it seemed like the axle was sticking out way to far on the left side and looks nothing like the axle that I looked up for the bike.
07 VTC1300C.

Any ideas or thoughts?

I've tried looking up instructions to mount a plate like this, but haven't come across any.
Im praying I don't have to buy a factory axle!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
A special bolt/axle for the side bracket.
#2 AXLE, RR. WHEEL 42301-MEA-670 About $22 - $23

Someone may want a side bracket license plate

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Yikes! The axle should go in from the left. Some butchered up action going on there. Someone had a 'axle' made to allow mounting the plate bracket? Looks sketchy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes! The axle should go in from the left. Some butchered up action going on there. Someone had a 'axle' made to allow mounting the plate bracket? Looks sketchy.
Yeah, im pretty pissed! If people are gonna do something why not do it right? WTF?!
I know I have yo buy a new axle, but not sure what else I'll need.

·
Registered
352 Posts
1300 axle goes in from the LH side, nut on the RH side. With the rear brake lined up with the rotor, it looks correct on the RH side. Looks like they modified LH side of the axle with a threaded extension for the side plate. How the he!! did they get the axle torqued ???
Yep, all you need is that new axle and a new axle nut plus the spacer on the RH side. May as well start fresh with the parts that hold your rear wheel in place and tight. JMHO
(y)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Who's the former owner?

How long have you had the bike?

I would save getting p!ssed for later:)...... for something really important.

Pull the axle, show us what you have w/ a few closeups?

·
Registered
960 Posts

Need an axel (and I believe that's the spacer)?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yeah, im pretty pissed! If people are gonna do something why not do it right? WTF?!
I know I have yo buy a new axle, but not sure what else I'll need.
I wouldn’t waste a lot of effort being pissed when the previous owner customized a bike they owned at the time. When you bought the bike, you also purchased his engineering project. Just replace the axle and move on. The hard part was done by another member listing the part number and approximate price.

That might not be the only “Custom” mod you find. I’m guessing you had a chance to look at the bike before you purchased it and paid the seller money.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Pull the axle out. Maybe just an extra piece welded on. May be able to cut if off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who's the former owner?

How long have you had the bike?

I would save getting p!ssed for later:)...... for something really important.

Pull the axle, show us what you have w/ a few closeups?

He's a guy from South Carolina. I drove 4 1/2 hours to get the bike.

I've had it since August 8th.

Im moving the bike this weekend to a place where I can work on it in the a/c and have help.

Things to do while tore down:

• F & R brake pads
  • Pair Valve Delete
  • Fork rebuild
  • Rear axle replacement
  • Oil Change
  • Diff fluid change
  • Coolant flush
-Strip flaking wrinkle coating off engine and repaint / polish fins.
  • Polish all faded / oxidized aluminum.
  • Buff paint and wax.
  • Wire in new turn signals and custom license plate bracket.
Gonna knock everything out all at once so I know everything is good. Not sure when everything was serviced and prev owner couldn't remember.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
Why not pump the brake caliper pistons out and clean the pistons and the cylinder if it needs it.
It may cause some anguish when trying to get pressure back but once it is done you are good for
a long time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why not pump the brake caliper pistons out and clean the pistons and the cylinder if it needs it.
It may cause some anguish when trying to get pressure back but once it is done you are good for
a long time.

Just added that to my list 10 minutes ago!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
63,776 Posts
The axle is oriented correctly. The axle nut should be on the brake caliper side of the wheel, as shown in your pictures. However, it looks as if they just used a threaded rod to make a new axle. Buy a new axle and nut from Honda

·
Super Moderator
63,776 Posts
I would get 2, 5, 13, 3, and 16. 13 is a spacer that rides between the wheel bearings. If that isn't in the wheel, you'll need to have the bearings pressed out to get it in and new bearings put in

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would get 2, 5, 13, 3, and 16. 13 is a spacer that rides between the wheel bearings. If that isn't in the wheel, you'll need to have the bearings pressed out to get it in and new bearings put in

Do you think I should get the wheel bearings too??

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I had previously requested pictures of the axle . I'm still interested in a close-up of the left end.

:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had previously requested pictures of the axle . I'm still interested in a close-up of the left end.

:)

Sorry, havent been able to get to tear down yet. Working night shift makes very little time to do anything. Ill start on it maybe tomorrow, if not then next weekend.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts