Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been an issue with the 1800's, but I have just removed my rear tire on my 2004 1300C and discovered that the left bearing is shot. I have only 11500 miles on the bike, and the bearing is extremely tight and very rough.
The right bearing is OK, but it will be getting replaced.

I had not noticed anything to make me suspect that anything was wrong, although when I removed the axle, I did notice that there was some water/moisture on it. No rust, but there was water.

Just a heads up for other riders.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bearing failure

I'm not sure why, it may be the quality of the bearings, the size of the bearings, or the installation process that causes them to fail prematurely. I do know that honda had the same problem with the Valkyrie bearings as well as the VTX. There diffenitly is a problem and they need to be checked at every wheel removal. :(

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Are you talking about the wheel bearing or the flange bearing?

My left wheel bearing felt tight at 24K. Flange bearing is fine.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bearing that is shot is the bearing that is mounted in the wheel on the left hand side.

It is item No. 19. Not only was it tight, but was "grinding" and "sticking". It does not turn freely. The bearing on the other side, No. 18 is fine.

Unless there is a separate bearing in the flange that is not shown?

I haven't pulled it apart yet to check.

V

·
0 Posts
the problem is at #6...

Don't forget the torque wrench!! here are the guys who can fix this...

·
Super Moderator
63,774 Posts
That's a different bearing than the flange bearingS. There are 2 flange bearings pressed into part#6 8)

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
ozzie65 said:
Unless there is a separate bearing in the flange that is not shown?

I haven't pulled it apart yet to check.
Yes - there are actually 2 bearings in the flange (#6)
Pull off the flange, and verify whether it's indeed #19 or #6. Just remove the big retaining ring and the whole unit will slip out. You can't inspect #19 with it on there.
Details here (with pictures):

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58952

I believe Tapper and Pete can replace the bearings in #6 for you - the dealer will want to sell you a whole new unit.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61396

V

·
0 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
That's a different bearing than the flange bearingS. There are 2 flange bearings pressed into part#6 8)
2 min too slow -hehehehe :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts