Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the last few rides I noticed the rear brake pedal was soft and no braking effort.
On my shopping ride today I really got into this while riding and left it out on the driveway at home.
Brake fluid did not look bad, light-golden.
I tried the normal bleed method, no fluid from rear brake cylinder.
I got the vacuum pump, 25 in vacuum and no fluid from the bleed screw.
Put the knee on the brake cylinder and pushed on it to retract the piston.
We have fluid. Several more refills of DOT4 and then shut the bleed valve.
Pushed on the brake pedal a few times and pedal was high.
Took a ride and and rear brake is fully functional.

Put it on your to do list. It was 3.5 years since last change.
It went up to 76*F today, have family visiting..

·
Old Goat
26,439 Posts
Was concerned for a moment as to subject header…u asking for help…but should have known better…as always good advice…when I get my health back intend to go thru mine ….all the best…

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Some of the newer bikes recommend flushing every two years. Some of the ABS systems have had water corrosion issuse - and they are expensive to replace. ABS not an issue on the VTX bikes. Just saying.

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of the newer bikes recommend flushing every two years. Some of the ABS systems have had water corrosion issuse - and they are expensive to replace. ABS not an issue on the VTX bikes. Just saying.
Our VTX has the 2 year brake fluid replacement.
The days go fast now, difficult to remember.
Seems like yesterday I popped the piston out and cleaned it.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Our VTX has the 2 year brake fluid replacement.
The days go fast now, difficult to remember.
Seems like yesterday I popped the piston out and cleaned it.
I know what you mean. It got really cold here and so I decided to go thru the little motorcycles and flush brake fluid, among other things. They live in climate controlled comfort, so it seemed like the thing to do.

The first two had crystal clear fluid, so I got on the computer and looked up the maintenance. They were all changed last spring. And everything else.

I guess I'll have to purchase something to work on. LOL

·
Registered
633 Posts
I am a big fan of the brake fluid flush. I never used to pay attention to it not really believing that it was a real necessity. My front brake lever had this sticking point that was difficult to squeeze past and when you got past it you were then squeezing the brakes way too hard. I read a post on here about doing brake fluid flushes. it didn't mention anything about the issue I was having but I was in a mood to work on my bike so I went and got some fluid and did a Flush on the front and back of the bike. My next ride blew my mind. The front brake felt so much better It felt like a whole new bike. I rode around town all-day stopping at stoplights and loving it because the front brake had never felt so responsive. From that moment on I've been a firm believer in flushing the brake fluid in a timely manner. I even do it on my cars. It's less noticeable in cars but still, you don't want that moister building up and rotting out your lines.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Was concerned for a moment as to subject header…u asking for help…but should have known better…as always good advice…when I get my health back intend to go thru mine ….all the best…
I'm feeling like I want to "pick on" Hans for missing an important scheduled maintenance...Then I realize he's probably the only member that would post (read: ADMIT!) his mistake on this public forum.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I used to flush and bleed the brake and clutch system as part of my old "Summer Special" service. The VTX is prone to moisture and air in the pneumatic lines, and I suggest an annual flush and bleed to avoid problems. This is an easy job with the right tool - a compressor powered vacuum evacuator, which is one of my all-time favorite shop tools.

Here's the one I use:

Takes 5-10 minutes to completely flush and refill front and rear brakes, and the clutch as well. The evacuator is useful for many many tasks.

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was getting lazy regarding maintenance chores.....
Front brake system brake fluid replaced.
Fresh fluid does improve hydraulic piston movement.
Rear brake was near useless until I changed the fluid.
Front brake responding much better with new fluid.
I used vacuum pump to empty reservoir.
Refilled reservoir and used lever action with bleed screw to remove the old fluid.
Quite a few strokes to get the reservoir emptied again.
I also pushed on the caliper piston a few times to spread the fresh fluid in the cylinder.
Lighter grip required to brake!
A 11 mile ride in 44*F. My summer gloves do not provide enough insulation.

Attachments

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
900 Posts
I want to personally thank you Hans for you contribution to the community here. What very LITTLE I know about Motorcycle Maintenance has been learned by reading the posts from you Hans and several others on this forum. All the input and advice over the years gave me the courage to tackle jobs I would have had to pay a dealership mechanic to "hopefully" do correctly. Also, getting my hands dirty has been half the fun of owning a motorcycle.

On a lighter note: What kind of oil is best!!! :p

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Steve! Good to see you posting here. Do you still have a MC?
What oil is the best??? Oil made from "Texas Light Sweet"... :D
Thanks for the kind words!
I forgot to get in touch with you last year when we were in Dallas, Harper, San Antonio, Dickinson.
Take care!

·
Registered
900 Posts
On the July 4th holiday weekend of 2019 I traded my 1800 for one of the "left-over" new 2016 Goldwing F6Bs. I miss being able to modify the bike since the F6B is almost perfect but I still get to change the fluids myself. Been putting 15K miles a year since I got it and enjoying the same amount of power as the VTX with a smoother ride...And REAL cruise control.

Reactions: TennX
1 - 13 of 13 Posts