Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I was returning to Robinsville from Tellico in Tenn. on 165 when me and my riding partner got into a cat (me on the VTX) and my riding partner the mouse (on a M109) chase. Needless to say I cooked the brakes on the X. The rear rotor had about 4 colors of the rainbow streaking through the contact area and ever since then the rear brake will squeal and growl on the last 20 feet of a stop. I've just been putting up with it, but with winter here thought about just going ahead with a fix to this. Replacing the pads is a no brainer but is the rotor toast as well and in need of replacement? And just for reference I have since retired from this despicable behavior. ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
when rotors get that hot, they tend to warp. it should still be fine, maybe a tad harder than before but structurally it should be sound unless it rapid-cooled..like riding through a large puddle or somthing. pads will probably fix your squeeling problem, but the rotor might need to be resurfaced. i'm a machinist by trade and would gladly do it for you for shipping costs only. send me a pm if you're interested. good luck with your talkative brakes:D

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Sandpaper the rotor, and as long as it isn't warped or scored deeply, it should be fine.

PS - front brakes perform better than the rears. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that was easy. Thanks. should be just right with it up in the 60's here this week. Thinking about you guys in the more frigid areas. I don't know how you keep your sanity in the winter.

asmattheis, thanks for the offer. I'll send you a PM if this doesn't work out. R

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I got the exact same issue here. I am bout to go out wash the X up good and take the back pads off. If not I will attempt to still ride. I'll get the pads after Christmas. It isbout 35 degrees here, but sunny as Heck.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
i had a brake pad seperate , when i got around to checking it , the rotor was toast too

1 - 9 of 9 Posts