Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just got me an 04 1300 c, And i have only put about 50 miles on it. My guestion is when i use the rear brake the caliper wont release. If you let it sit there a minute you can wiggle the caliper and it will release. It has done this the last couple of times i rode it. Now i did have it straped down on my trailer when i bought it an the strap was on the caliper. After i ride a little while it wont do it anymore that day.

·
Registered
371 Posts
next time try not to tie down on your brakes, i tie the back end down on the shock mounts. you're dead without your brakes.

it sounds like you may have bent the mounting bolts. when you add pad pressure, its binding up. if thats the case you're gonna have to get/order some new bolts

i'd get this taken care of pretty quick, it takes 30% longer to stop without that back brake.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
next time try not to tie down on your brakes, i tie the back end down on the shock mounts. you're dead without your brakes.

it sounds like you may have bent the mounting bolts. when you add pad pressure, its binding up. if thats the case you're gonna have to get/order some new bolts

i'd get this taken care of pretty quick, it takes 30% longer to stop without that back brake.
I didn't realize that i had the strap over the caliper till i got home. Just a stupid mistake that i wont ever do again.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
My2Racers -

It could be that you have bent the caliper mounting pins by strapping the bike down too tightly while the strap was wrapped over/around the caliper.

However, I find that those caliper mounting pins/bolts are fairly hardened material and require a LOT of force to deform. I might suggest that you remove the caliper mounting/locating pins/bolts and thoroughly clean and inspect them for being straight and having no visible wear spots. If so, replace them. If they look OK, thoroughly clean, lubricate the area where the caliper slides and then reassemble everything properly. You may just have to clean what the original owner of the bike has never touched and this may help cure/avoid your problem with "hanging" brakes.

Another thing to look at - particularly if the bike has aftermarket pipes - check that the brake pedal is not bent or hanging up on the front pipe, heatshield or floorboard/peg assemblies. If someone has put "forward control" adapters on the X, these may also cause a rear brake to "hang" if they have gotten out of adjustment/alignment.

The last item could be that the rear brake pedal pivot needs cleaning and lubrication or the return spring may need adjustment or replacement. Page 15-0 in the VTX1300 Service manual gives some fairly good pictures of the rear (and front) brake components in "exploded view" format.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an '08 VTX1300R, bought it May 1st. A while after I got it, a friend was riding his bike behind mine after dark and told me that my brake light was staying on, even when I wasn't braking. I took it into the shop for the first service the following week and they made the proper adjustments. It hasn't stuck since. It was the rear brake as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Madness mc you hit the nail on the head, The bike has cobra pipes and the front guard was rubbing the brake lever. Thanks to all that responded this is a great board.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts