Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Tips, Tricks, Mods or any advice that may help me "safely" put a rear fender that has just been custom painted back on without scratching it up. :cry:

·
Registered
554 Posts
The middle fender boly can go on without the strut trim. The fender slides in really easily without hitting anything if you leave that chrome trim off and get those two middle bolts in irst then put the trim onand worry about mounting the shocks later. I just put my fender on last week using this method and didn't scratch a thing, I did not have help and I did not use tape, I wouldn't recommend the latter

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've found that loosening the top shock bolts enough seems to allow the struts to open up far enough for the fender to slip right in...but as Spike suggested, also use masking tape - preferrably the blue painters tape as it comes off easily with little to no residue...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Shocks off, shock mounting special bolt loosened, and outer grab rails off, tape the support arms. As described before, install middle bolts, then outer grab rails, then the shocks.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Firemanirfd said:
The middle fender boly can go on without the strut trim. The fender slides in really easily without hitting anything if you leave that chrome trim off and get those two middle bolts in irst then put the trim onand worry about mounting the shocks later.
+1 :D

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ideas.

firemanirfd wrote:
The middle fender boly can go on without the strut trim. The fender slides in really easily without hitting anything if you leave that chrome trim off and get those two middle bolts in irst then put the trim onand worry about mounting the shocks later. I just put my fender on last week using this method and didn't scratch a thing, I did not have help and I did not use tape, I wouldn't recommend the latter
Especially this one. Seems obvious now, but I probably wouldnt have figured it out until it was to late. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts