Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did an oil change, and since then the top of the rear jug is chatering. I used oem filter, and oem oil. I filled with new oil while the bike was on the jack, so it was leaval. I filed to the top of the highest line, the second line on the dip stick. I checked while filling by just dipping the stick not screewing it in. This is what I was told was right. I have 1,440 miles on the bike. Is this chatter from my oil change? shoud Ibring it to the dealer. I got the bike in august 2004. Its a 2003 1800 Retro. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
63,885 Posts
I'll assume the bike is off the jack now when you are running it and it isn't the jack rattling. Anything else done to the bike while it was on the stand like proping the tank up(tank bolt loose) wrench/tool left under the seat. 8)

It takes just under 4qts of oil(3.9) you added that much right. Is the bike idling too low, does the sound go away when you give it some throttle?

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bikes not on the stand, I did do the final drive oil. Did the oil change a week ago, and untill today I could only hear the noise while riding. It didnt make it at a stop. now today when I rode home from work, pulled it in the garage, I left it running, and could hear it, thats when I could hear it at the top of the rear jug. I have been going nuts checking every nut and bolt with th tourqe wrench, and then riding again, and I cant find a thing.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think I draind it all, I had the drain pan under it, and pulled the front plug, and let it go till no more dripping, then pulled the rear, and oil filter, and let it go till no more dripping. This is the third oil change I have done on the bike, I did one at 600 miles, and then did one before winter storage, at 1000 miles, and now I have been riding again after winter to hit the rest. I did all my changes the same, but not on this one, since doing the other changes, people on the board here have said when putting in the new oil to check by not screewing in the dip stick, just set it down all the way. in the past I checked by screewing it in all the way. So was this wrong? did I put to much oil in this time. I have never touched the idel, have not done anything recent, two monthes back I put on the new V&H pipes, and thats it, I did do new gaskets for the pipes, and its been great for the last 400 miles, untill this last week.

·
Registered
476 Posts
HOW MUCH OIL DID YOU PUT BACK IN??? :?:

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
How much did you put in? Have you looked at my oil change method on my site?

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/

Here is an excerpt that I think may be relevant:

using the funnel dump all 4 quarts in quickly, pouring but not allowing the bottle to sit upside down and drain every little bit. After pouring all 4 quarts this way there is about .1 quart left between all 4 bottles so you added the required 3.9 quarts. There is some debate/discrepancy between folks about the proper method to refill the bike, this has led to some folks putting 5 and 6 quarts of oil into a bike that only requires the 3.9. What I've learned from working on these bikes is that the sticks in these bikes can vary slightly from bike to bike, how they read, how you lean when you check the stick, how much oil has drained down, etc - no matter how much you try to replicate the same conditions (run time, cool down time, etc) there are always discrepancies. So I add my 4 "fast-poured" quarts to the engine and then I pour the leftover old oil back into the 4, now empty, quart bottles. This makes it easy for me to deliver the oil for recycling AND it lets me know how much I drained. This way I can always make sure I'm replacing as much as I'm removing AND it lets me see if the motor is burning a little oil. After a few changes you know what to expect and if anything is off you'll recognize it. I never look at a dipstick unless the oil drained/replaced are dramatically different.

If your a strictly "by the book" kind of person and you absolutely have to check the dipstick then:
-Start the engine and let it idle for 3-5 minutes
-Stop the engine, let the bike sit for 2-3 minutes
-Make sure the bike is on a level surface
-Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean
-Stand the bike upright off the sidestand
-Insert the dipstick until it seats, but don't screw it in
-Remove the dipstick and check the level

If you decide to use the "book" method please keep in mind what I've mentioned above. I am generally ALWAYS a "by the book" kind of guy when working on these things, but this is one time when I trust my real world experience over what the book says.
Think about that and let us know how much you added. :wink:

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I buy my oil in the larg container, I think its like 5 quarts. the container is gone now. I fill with one of the funals with the tube on it, so you fill the funal, that is marked with quarts on it, one quart at a time, then turn the nob to relese it. I did this three times, then added almost another quart. Now I did let them drain all the way. My old oil gos into a drain bucket I cant see through, maybe I need to change my oil change ways. I just got in from checking my plugs, this is the first time i have ever checked them. front left was dry, and looked clean, rear left the same, front right the same, right rear was kind of black, but not wet. It was the only one that was different. By the way, thanks bareass for the time you spend helping. Im not a wrench, but I have changed plugs, and oil on all the bikes I have ever had with no problems, this bike is the first fuel injection I have ever had, and I could be doing somthing wrong, It might not be the oil, but its the only thing I can come up with since it was recent, I did it different then the other times. Now while I was out there, I started the bike, let it run for about 5 min., and was not any different sounding on front or back jug, the were the same, and sounded ok, I shut it off after 5 min. I checked the oil, while level, and oil on the stick was just a tad under the top line. The noise I had all week sounded like some thing loss in the wind on the front of the bike around the tree, but couldnt stop it touching any thing. What I had when I came home tonight sounded like the top jug chattering, and I thought the front was not. Now they both sound the same. Oh I did check my bolts on the pipes since they were two monthes old, and I got three to five turns on each of them. I wont have a chance to ride it again till sat. morning. Hope this gives some more info. Thank you, your a big help.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Want to thank all you guys for your help. I feel stupid, I found the problem, or should i say problems. After cranking down the bolts on the head light that were loss, and the exhaust, and shimming the floor boards off my haet shield, and then finding a wiring harnes touching my fan, I no longer have any noise, I realy felt it was the jug, I went back out, took a long ride today, and fixed all the little crap I could find. this is a great board, and a great group of guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts