Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my rear fender back on after getting it powder coated and was tightening down the flange bolt with the washer that screws into the hex bolt holding the rear shock in place. It tightened down a little bit but never seem to fully tighten so i kept going and ended up snapping the bolt head off. We got the bolt out and have a new one but im wondering what the ft lbs are for that flange bolt, using a torque wrench. I tried looking all over but could only find where it says the hex bolt is 20 ft lbs but nothing ever said anything about the bolt that screws into that one. Also, is there a reason that bolt would feel like it wasnt getting any tighter but I still managed to snap the head off? Its only the second time I have ever loosened that bolt and it didnt look damaged the first time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Are you talking about the pivot bolt? That is a 40 ft/lb torque. Not all bolts are specifically listed in the service manual. They list torque values by bolt size at the beginning on the chapter. 20 ft/lb is for the shorter bolt that threads into the pivot bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,851 Posts
anytime you have powder coating.. or even painting.. YOU MUST run a thread chaser down every threaded hole.. A MUST... as powder coating or paint will fill the threads and make installing the bolt correctly almost imposable.

now you have real work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts