Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2005 1300C with Progressive front springs, and the original stock rear shocks set at 3. I ride solo 99.9% of the time, and I'm a pretty laid back rider (speed limit +5-10).

Everytime I go over one of those sharp bumps or holes that sends my a$$ in the air, it feels like all the bones in my back are slamming into each other. (I'm sure that my 230 lbs isn't helping any)

From what I've read, it seems like there are two general recommendations. Either use shocks from a VTX 1800, or Progressive 412s.

My question is (aside from dropping 50lbs), which rear shock solution would you recommend for the most cushioning on a 230 lb rider when going over those sharp bumps?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The 18 stock shocks will ride a little nicer than the stock 13's. The 412's will ride a little nicer than the stock 18's, but the 412's arent lifetime warranty. The 430's and 440's are lift time warranty. I have the 430 hd's, Im 270 and its a sporty ride for me.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
860 Posts
I ride a 2005 1300C with Progressive front springs, and the original stock rear shocks set at 3. I ride solo 99.9% of the time, and I'm a pretty laid back rider (speed limit +5-10).

Everytime I go over one of those sharp bumps or holes that sends my a$$ in the air, it feels like all the bones in my back are slamming into each other. (I'm sure that my 230 lbs isn't helping any)

From what I've read, it seems like there are two general recommendations. Either use shocks from a VTX 1800, or Progressive 412s.

My question is (aside from dropping 50lbs), which rear shock solution would you recommend for the most cushioning on a 230 lb rider when going over those sharp bumps?
I INSTALLED THE 412'S ON MY 1800 AND DID MUCH IMPROVE THE RIDE. I RIDE 2 UP MOST TIMES AND HAVE THEM SET AT THE 2ND FROM THE MOST FIRM RIDE AND THAT WAS THE SWEET SPOT FOR 2 UP. I COULD NOT JUSTIFY THE PRICE ON THE OTHER PROGRESSIVES ABOVE THE 412 SERIES. THE 412'S WORK WELL AND ARE AN IMPROVEMENT OVER STOCK. THE 412'S WERE AVAIL IN 1/2" INCREMENTS LONGER OR SHORTER THEN STOCK LENGTH, I WENT WITH THE 1/2" SHORTER THEN STOCK, AND THE STANDARD'S NOT THE HD'S, WHICH WORKED WELL. :vtx18:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info guys. I think I'll go right to the 412s. Seems like I could buy two sets for the cost of the lifetime warranty on the 418s.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
my 1800 shocks were 30 dollars

·
Old Goat
25,487 Posts
Since Ive owned my bike Ive run 1800 shocks on it, first C now N, I cant imagine a better ride, but as someone said opinions vary...good luck on your choice....

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I busted out two sets of Progressive 412 shocks. The first set was 11" and the second set was 11.5". After the second set crapped out, I switched to the 1800 shocks and haven't looked back since.

To be honest, I didn't like the 412s at all anyway. Maybe it's because I'm not heavy enough and ride solo 99% of the time.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
I've got one 412 that started leaking yesterday :banghead: Dose anyone know if the actual part number or (size length) is stamped on the shock.

·
Registered
53 Posts
1800 Shocks on 1300S?

Are the 1800 shocks a direct swap to the 1300? Any modifications reuqired? Any difference if it is a 1300S as opposed to a C model? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
1800 are direct bolt on and are only about 1/2" taller

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Are the 1800 shocks a direct swap to the 1300? Any modifications reuqired? Any difference if it is a 1300S as opposed to a C model? Thanks.
1800 are direct bolt on and are only about 1/2" taller
Actually, the later model 1800 shocks have needle bearings and are not a direct swap to the 1300. I forgot the year the needle bearings started with the 1800s though.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my 1800 shocks were 30 dollars
I looked for them on ebay but couldn't find a set. Otherwise for $30 I'd give them a try. If I do go to a Progressive 412, does it make sense to buy them for an 1800 instead of the 1300 (or are they the same?)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Actually, the later model 1800 shocks have needle bearings and are not a direct swap to the 1300. I forgot the year the needle bearings started with the 1800s though.

forgot about that

·
Registered
90 Posts
So, does that mean that you have to swap out mounting studs or something like that?

·
Old Goat
25,487 Posts
So, does that mean that you have to swap out mounting studs or something like that?

Just the top one, easy enough...someone on the classifieds had a set of F with the top post...good luck

·
Registered
860 Posts
I looked for them on ebay but couldn't find a set. Otherwise for $30 I'd give them a try. If I do go to a Progressive 412, does it make sense to buy them for an 1800 instead of the 1300 (or are they the same?)
LOOK UP PART NMBR FOR BOTH MODELS, IF PART NMBR THE SAME, YOU HAVE YOUR ANSWER. :vtx18:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I just adjusted my preload down 3 positions - so I couldn't have been at 2. It must have been at the max stiffness. I took it out for a ride and it made a BIG difference. I'm going to ride it a couple of hundred miles later this week, so I'll see how it goes. Maybe I won't need to change out the stock shocks after all.

·
Registered
230 Posts
1300 shocks

Hey Peter P......I have similar experiences with stock Honda shocks on my 2007 VTX 1300C....bounced and jumped around in turns...didn't seem to have good dampening on rebound....

I am about 245 lbs and I know the stock shocks were not designed for me, so recently I bought and installed a pair of 412 Heavy Duty shocks.
They are 11.5" long, which is 1/2" shorter than stock Honda shocks and very easy to install....

I really like the way they ride....firm, smooth....and I have them set on the lowest (least tension) setting for solo riding ...but will move them up to the # 2 or #3 setting when loaded for a trip....so much better control in the rear end through turns.....little or no bouncing and moving around..

Just wanted to add my 2 bits....good luck....Steve:thumbup:

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Progressive shocks are the same for either model. IMO, the lifetime warranty of the 440's are worth the extra cash (as well as the better ride)......otherwise I would go for the 1800 shocks.

Phatperformanceparts.com has them for 480 and you can usually find a 5 percent off coupon.....or dlp will pricematch.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Peter P......I have similar experiences with stock Honda shocks on my 2007 VTX 1300C....bounced and jumped around in turns...didn't seem to have good dampening on rebound....

I am about 245 lbs and I know the stock shocks were not designed for me, so recently I bought and installed a pair of 412 Heavy Duty shocks.
They are 11.5" long, which is 1/2" shorter than stock Honda shocks and very easy to install....

I really like the way they ride....firm, smooth....and I have them set on the lowest (least tension) setting for solo riding ...but will move them up to the # 2 or #3 setting when loaded for a trip....so much better control in the rear end through turns.....little or no bouncing and moving around..

Just wanted to add my 2 bits....good luck....Steve:thumbup:
Yeah Steve, I think that's where I'll likely end up. At least the 412s or maybe one of the warranted ones. But at least for now with the softer setting on the stocks, my backbones have stopped clacking together like castanets.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts