Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - I know pretty stupid question ... when to replace...

But I've got an 03 1800 VTX-C... got it in 06 with 5800 miles on it, has over 21,000 now.

My wife rides with me from time to time... she's about 150 and I'm about 190... guess that's about 340 total.

What is the life expectancy of the rear shocks ... ?? Is there one ?

I'm guessing there are others that ride this much weight and more on their X and just wondering what they have their shocks set on as well ? 3, 4, 5 setting...?

Any help appreciated... Thanks.

·
3,915 Posts

But I've got an 03 1800 VTX-C... got it in 06 with 5800 miles on it, has over 21,000 now.

My wife rides with me from time to time... she's about 150 and I'm about 190... guess that's about 340 total.

I'm guessing there are others that ride this much weight and more on their X and just wondering what they have their shocks set on as well ? 3, 4, 5 setting...?

I've never heard of the stock shocks wearing out. But, you may want to replace them to improve the handleing and performance of the suspension. I know guys w 100,000 plus and have not heard of shock failure:dontknow:

I am replacing mine with Progressive 440 and progressive front fork springs. I am hoping for a little more response and better handling in the curves.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
..progressive suspension is the way to go..HD 412s will prolly put ya where ya need to be..a little cheaper than the 440s..and the front springs to go with 'em is icing on the cake..;)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

I don't know of any life expectancy. I'm sure there is one, I'm just not aware of it.

Stock shock setting for my 250lb ass solo is 3, and with wifey on back, 4.

If you're having any handling issues, front fork springs from progressive, then get Gary's Bushings, or the McMaster-Carr equivalent, for your rear shocks. I've yet to find a reason to plunk 250-550 dollars on replacement suspension.

Check tire pressue, replace front fork springs, get new bushings, and the bike will be a whole new machine.

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
I guess if youve got the $$$$$ the progressives are the way to go, me I prowl the classifieds I can buy a lot of stockers for that kind of change. good luck

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
stock shocks should last a very long time ,if used correctly....adjust load settings when riding two up,
change back when riding solo.." most riders dont bother with this,but it works" see your manual for instructions on load settings..what usualy wears out are the shock mount
bushings..pop your shock cap off and check them..chances are they are worn and the bushing is either cracked,or totaly oblonged ,hopefully your not on metal to metal..

·
Registered
169 Posts

My wife and I are similar in weight and I regularly ride on 3---unless I have gear loaded on the back then I'll kick it up to 4. A lot of it is preference, try 3 then 4 without gear and see what feels better.

G

·
I ;have over 65,000 miles on my OEM ones.
Would like to find some 1800 shocks to put on, theres nothing wrong with mine, as far as working, I just have on that looks bad, got some scraps on it.
Went through several bushings and then bought Garys bushings and they olny lasted about 20,000 and now I have some I made myself, and they are the best, and they were only about $4.

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
I ;have over 65,000 miles on my OEM ones.
Would like to find some 1800 shocks to put on, theres nothing wrong with mine, as far as working, I just have on that looks bad, got some scraps on it.
Went through several bushings and then bought Garys bushings and they olny lasted about 20,000 and now I have some I made myself, and they are the best, and they were only about $4.

Is is a secret or can you share. :mrgreen: oh and I have 1800c's on my 1300 and really like em.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I replaced my oem shocks at 30000 miles with Progressive 412 hd. It rides and handles much better. Also replaced front spring. The wife even noted how much better the ride was.

G

·
[/b]Is is a secret or can you share. :mrgreen: oh and I have 1800c's on my 1300 and really like em.

[/size]

Its been so long, I dont remember. I have crs
I just bought some bushing and cut and ground, untill they were close and then, pressed them in the shock and the onto the bike.
They were Poly

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks

Hey folks - thanks for weighing in ...

I'll definitely play with the setting on the shocks... my mc tire is about flat as a table top and am about to replace and go darkside...tire came in today...

so i'm hoping with the new tire, shock setting adjustment... should be a much smoother ride.

I "think" the bushings are okay... I'll be checking them as well...

As Crew says... this board is the best !

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts