Honda VTX Forum banner

Rear tire is a nail magnet?

761 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  nodakbassmaster 
#1 ·
Spent all day making a repair on rear tire again. Took a week vacation to put some miles on bike. Took the wife and went south on monday. Went out for a ride to the lake yesterday and made it 4 miles from the house before the rear tire went flat. Tried using my Honda riders club card for a tow. Got the call from the towing co. and said it was going to be one and a half to two hours before anyone could get there? Decided to try to pump it up enough to get back home. 5 pump ups later and made it back home. Removed the rear tire and took it to the dealer. Day before holiday and they got it right in and repaired. Last time it was a 150.00 repair (they removed) This time it was a 50.00 repair (I removed) Did a lot better this time. Whats up with this nail magnet? How can a nail miss the front tire and find there way into the rear? Not that i am complaining I would rather fight a rear tire flat than a front tire.

#4 ·
If you find out what cosmic disorder causes this - and the cure - please let me know. I've just put the 6th (I think - lost count) rear tire on mine due to picking up nails. I've used up most of the mushroom plugs that came with my Stop & Go repair kit! That is a great product, btw and I highly recommend it. Saved my butt many times over.

http://www.stopngo.com/products/plugger/1075.asp

Don't know about Ride-On, but I'm reluctant to put any kind of goop inside my tires.

#5 ·
what part of the road lane do you normaly ride? I was having this problem with my sports car because I always wanted to hug the outer most part of the lane, right up next to the white line. I was always picking up nails, screws and such, I think things in the road end up either in the center line or on the edge.
As Crew would say, all opions vary :wink:

#6 ·
A nail lying flat in the road doesn't cause much threat to a tire. What happens is that the front tire hits the nail, and kicks it up. That's about when the rear tire makes contact and gets impaled.

The solution is simple: ride on one wheel. :D

Barring riding wheelies everywhere, you can also be picky about what part of the lane you ride in. If you ride in the center or outside edge, start saving now. You are less likely to pick up a nail riding in the track of the cars ahead of you.

I usually ride the left track unless i'm in a group. That's because stuff makes its way from the center of the road to the outside. If i need to move to the right track, i don't loiter in the middle.

I see people ride down the middle of a lane, and i shake my head because i know it's an expensive habit. Don't make me shake my head at you. :lol:

#7 ·
HairOnFire said:
If you find out what cosmic disorder causes this - and the cure - please let me know. I've just put the 6th (I think - lost count) rear tire on mine due to picking up nails. I've used up most of the mushroom plugs that came with my Stop & Go repair kit! That is a great product, btw and I highly recommend it. Saved my butt many times over.

http://www.stopngo.com/products/plugger/1075.asp

Don't know about Ride-On, but I'm reluctant to put any kind of goop inside my tires.

Read about it maybe youll change your mind. :wink:

#9 ·
I have been riding 40 years and never picked up a nail in the front, I think the comment on the front tire kicking the nail up is correct.

#10 ·
Monday to Tuesday afternoon did 800 miles Got up Wednesday morning rear tire fat found a bolt in it. Going to plug and run it for now. Same thing happen with the first set of tires at about same miles, go figure :?

#11 ·
I just happened to read this thread last night and wouldn't you know it - this morning I have a small nail right in the center of the rear tire tread. The local dealer won't patch it. Luckily they have F tires on sale for $190 so I'm having them swap it out tomorrow AM. 1200 miles on the tire and this is my first nail in almost 30 years of riding...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.