Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Photos of my rear turn signal relocation on my 05' 1800R. I wanted to keep the OEM signals with fiberglass Tsukayu strong bags. I fabricated and welded mounts from flat 1/8 inch steel plate onto the license plate bracket. I covered the holes in the fender with electrical conduit covers that I painted gloss black.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Tire

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Automotive design
Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
no laws in TX about distance between the turn signals? in CA they have to be 9" apart and I believe above 16" from the ground

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
no laws in TX about distance between the turn signals? in CA they have to be 9" apart and I believe above 16" from the ground
The only rule for motorcycle turn signals in TX DMV book is for height from ground. I believe 16" as well.
Which we did not manage to comply with on my buddy's heavily lowered chopper. I think we ended up with 14" off the ground. Not that the technician cared because TX does not require turn signals on motorcycles anyway.
I am not sure how some motorcycle manufacturers comply with the CA rule since I've seen some turn factory signals on the side of 6" headlight buckets. LOL

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Photos of my rear turn signal relocation on my 05' 1800R. I wanted to keep the OEM signals with fiberglass Tsukayu strong bags. I fabricated and welded mounts from flat 1/8 inch steel plate onto the license plate bracket. I covered the holes in the fender with electrical conduit covers that I painted gloss black.
Nice job, looks factory. And good job on the license plate photoshop. :)
Where in our big lonestar state do you hail from?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The only rule for motorcycle turn signals in TX DMV book is for height from ground. I believe 16" as well.
Which we did not manage to comply with on my buddy's heavily lowered chopper. I think we ended up with 14" off the ground. Not that the technician cared because TX does not require turn signals on motorcycles anyway.
I am not sure how some motorcycle manufacturers comply with the CA rule since I've seen some turn factory signals on the side of 6" headlight buckets. LOL

they have to be minimum 9" apart from each other. not 9" from the mount point.

I got nailed with this on my CBR years ago because I replaced the tail light with an LED that had integrated turns, as such they were no where near 9" apart from each other:

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Photograph Automotive lighting White

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
They are 9" apart and 17" off the ground.
cool,, hard to tell from the pix. mod looks nice. can't do on mine since it is an "F". I've had to find other means of having turns. frankly never use them, so used to hand signals since I bicycle commute most of the time. but I have my tail and brake lights crossed over into them so I have a bright ass look at me tail and brake lights.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
they have to be minimum 9" apart from each other. not 9" from the mount point.

I got nailed with this on my CBR years ago because I replaced the tail light with an LED that had integrated turns, as such they were no where near 9" apart from each other:

View attachment 194482
It make sense for the 9" lateral rule, you want to know which way the motorcyclist is intending to turn and it's hard to tell if both turn signals are 3" apart. LOL
However, as I mentioned, the TX DMV has only one rule for turn signal placement and that is minimum height above ground.
Never understood why vehicles that travel within the national roadway system are not subjected to national safety rules but instead some local state safety rules. If you want that turn signal stop lamp above but cannot do it legally in CA, just register your bike in AZ, TX or another state that does not have that rule. SMH

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Very nice. I put the halogen 'bullets' as directionals on my fender rails way back in '05. Can't stand the lollipop looking stock turn signals. Here in Jersey there is no MC inspection but, I believe good, bright turn signals are a safety item.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts