Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
64,224 Posts
Nope, the rear head can't be pulled completely off with the engine in the frame. However, many have just pulled the bolts, lifted the head off enough to get a new bead of sealant on there

·
Registered
881 Posts
I did just as spike mentioned above...it's a pain and hard to get all the old rtv off without getting it inside, but it can be done with a lot of patience. I did it 5 years ago and haven't had a leak since.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My rear valve cove has started to weep again. The stealer
repaired it under warranty back in '03.
Does anyone know if the cover can be removed without pulling
the engine?
Or if the cover can be lifted and resealed with
the engine in place?
If you mean the rear valve cover, it's just two bolts holding the cover which has an o-ring. It is tight, but you can remove it just like when you need to adjust the valves. You can order a new o-ring.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you mean the rear valve cover, it's just two bolts holding the cover which has an o-ring. It is tight, but you can remove it just like when you need to adjust the valves. You can order a new o-ring.

Those are the access covers for the valve adjustment, not the rocker box cover I believe he is referring to. Those covers still have to come off though to access some bolts holding down the rocker box cover in addition to the bolts around the outside perimeter of the rocker box.

Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
881 Posts
I believe he is talking about the rocker box cover, not the inspection cover from what he posted. Perhaps his naming convention is wrong, but I doubt he's referring to the inspection/adjustment cover judging by the nature of his question. And loner is correct, I believe about needing to remove the inspection covers to get at all the rocker box cover bolts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts