Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to confirm after my first rear wheel removal / tire change.... Does this spaceout between the final drive housing and hub look correct? Just wanted to make sure I didn't have some kind of issue with the spline not properly seating in the final drive.
1.jpg
(I know, I know, the wheels are in bad shape -- It's a used bike, I've been out of the country half of the year and I just destroyed my powerball cleaning the front wheel!)

On a potentially (?) unrelated note: I noticed after changing to Cobra Swept exhausts and these new Metzeler 880F/888R tires, I get an occasional buzz in the frame during deceleration usually at +/-25mph that lasts under a second but is alarming nonetheless. I found a lot of discussion around a potentially similar issue here - http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?358049-Noise-in-rear-of-bike&highlight=buzz+sounds - but didn't see many convincing suggestions. I've never encountered this issue until making these changes. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

·
Old Goat
25,655 Posts
Cant help with the buzz, its been a while since I had one..:mrgreen:..as for the wheel only one way, space is correct...its either on or its not....good luck

·
Super Moderator
64,046 Posts
If it wasn't lined up correctly, your wheel/brake and axle would not fit inside the swingarm. If your wheel is on the swingarm now and it rotates, it's right

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cant help with the buzz, its been a while since I had one..:mrgreen:..as for the wheel only one way, space is correct...its either on or its not....good luck
Was just up in your neck of the woods, could have helped you out with that buzz! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the feedback, gents!

·
Registered
34,469 Posts
Put on a new set of Metz a short time ago.

I too had a buzz/slight vibration at 20-25 mph.

I got it up to 30mph, cut the motor & pulled in the clutch.

It happened from about 25 down to 20.

After a couple hundred miles, maybe a little less, it was gone.

I figure it was the newness of the tires, wearing away the "sharp" edges of the tread.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I noticed that same thing at times on my Shinkos as the face of the tire has worn down. I have come to the conclusion that it is the side threads buzzing sorta like big 4X4 tires do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts