Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought myself a Viking (from HF) lithium jump starter for the car. It's relatively compact but not nearly small enough to carry it in a bike bag. Since the demands of a bike battery is so much less, I was wondering if there are any smaller jumpers that are still good enough for jump starting the VTX. Got burned by a dead battery after stopping for gas a while back. Thank God I was close to home otherwise I'd be a missing person.

·
Old Goat
24,186 Posts
Can’t help other than to say I keep my bike and my battery maintained...13 years and 54k zero problems...good luck

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
sorry to burst your bubble....

a large V-twin draws more power to start then most 4 cylinder cars.. with a battery one third the size.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
sorry to burst your bubble....

a large V-twin draws more power to start then most 4 cylinder cars.. with a battery one third the size.
Even with the VTX compression release? I wouldn't have thought.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Even with the VTX compression release? I wouldn't have thought.

back in 2007 or 08,,, using my 2005, on this forum..
I documented using pro automotive test equipment...

disabled all electrical items.. except starter..

at 70 degrees "F"... my 1800 pulls over 300 amps for the first 3 or 4 revolutions then tapers down to the mid 250 amps.

a standard Chevy 350 V8.. draws 350 amps..

If I remember correctly.. PhilsCBX also got into the conversion.
as he also was a Honda dealership mechanic.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was wondering if there are any smaller jumpers that are still good enough for jump starting the VTX.
This is the one that I have. I have had it for about 2 1/2 yrs. Pricey - but it was a gift. Thicker than a cell phone but not any bigger length x width.
I have used it to jump everything from my riding lawn mower, to my 4 wheeler, to my VTX1800, to my Honda Shadow, to my Nissan Sentra, to my Chevy 5.7L truck.
If it ever fails, I will get another just like it because it works.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts

at 70 degrees "F"... my 1800 pulls over 300 amps for the first 3 or 4 revolutions then tapers down to the mid 250 amps.

Well there ya go, I just learned something. Thanks for sharing, like I said, I'd of never guessed. Who'd 'a thunk it?

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
if I remember correctly..

it started with owners saying the battery does not last..
even with decompression... aka Slow Cranking.

WHY?..

so I do what I do.. find out.
just like the long fight.. of why the front tire wears more on the left side.

I put my bike on the dealer frame jig.. and did all the measurements... its not the bike.
its riding style and speed of the left hand turns. over the speed of right hand turns.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yuasa, the top rated VTX battery, is rated at 240 CCA. That's all I know.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
think about it...

a 1800 v-twin.. and a 1800 6 cylinder

each compression stroke... a 4 inch piston vers a 2.9 inch piston.
or 101mm to 74mm.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
just like the long fight.. of why the front tire wears more on the left side.

I put my bike on the dealer frame jig.. and did all the measurements... its not the bike.
its riding style and speed of the left hand turns. over the speed of right hand turns.
In addition to riding style/higher speed on left hand turns, the crown in the road also contributes to the left side of the tire wearing more than the right side.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Yuasa, the top rated VTX battery, is rated at 240 CCA. That's all I know.
Some clarification on 1300 vs 1800 batteries.

VTX 1300 > OEM battery is YTX14-BS with 200 CCA. High performance YTX14H-BS battery is 240 CCA.
---------
VTX 1800 > OEM battery is YTX20L-BS with 270 CCA. High performance YTX20HL-BS is 310 CCA.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
This is the one that I have. I have had it for about 2 1/2 yrs. Pricey - but it was a gift. Thicker than a cell phone but not any bigger length x width.
I have used it to jump everything from my riding lawn mower, to my 4 wheeler, to my VTX1800, to my Honda Shadow, to my Nissan Sentra, to my Chevy 5.7L truck.
If it ever fails, I will get another just like it because it works.
Lucky you have it. I haven't had to jump start anything in the last 2 1/2 years, or the last 5 years for that matter. I don't remember the last time I had to jump start one of my vehicles. Had to bump start my son's 250 a couple of years back ... that was it. Maybe I'm just lucky.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
this summer,,, battery did the slow crank on the bike.. I was parked at an AutoZone store, got a jump.. I rode home 1 mile.. ordered another one.

about 6-7 years ago. .I push started my VTX, weak battery.. not easy. aka no down hill.

last truck. my Ford superduty... in my driveway..
battery had 156,000 miles ... factory original.
6/2011 to 10/2017..
I got the truck used, in 2015... a Fleet/Lease..

this did not require a jump
I purchased a used Ford Flex 8/19.. had a 2 year old Motorcraft battery...

date on battery (1/2017)...

it became weak to start car... 9/19,,, on my birthday. ( load tested weak )
installed a AutoZone 5 year battery.. 850cca,, NOT the 650cca Ford calls for.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
this summer,,, battery did the slow crank on the bike.. I was parked at an AutoZone store..

about 6-7 years ago. .I push started my VTX, weak battery.. not easy. aka no down hill.

last truck. my Ford superduty... in my driveway..
battery had 156,000 miles ... factory original.
6/2011 to 10/2017..
I got the truck used, in 2015... a Fleet/Lease..
LOL ... push start a VTX1800? I'd a had a heart attack! Good on ya, takes some doing, it's quite an accomplishment. My Harley ... don't think it's possible without a good downhill run. The bike is far too awkward to push, never mind pushing it fast enough to get the engine to fire.

Guess I'm just lucky. Probably jinxed it now ... LOL. I'm likely going to replace the battery in the Harley this spring anyway. Still the factory 2012 battery, it's probably time.

My Cummins had 2 batteries, and they were not cheap. Replaced them with AGM batteries. They are a bit more robust than flooded cell. Replaced them once the starter started dragging, then sold the truck last spring anyway. Go figure.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
for the record..

my VTX 1800"F" still has its original starter solenoid... and it has never got stuck
that's 14 years... and 89,000 miles.

:)
knock on the wooden head.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine usually dies over the winter months. I have now put it on a slow charger and every once in a while start it and let it idle. Thinking back to the places I have been to, it'll be a nightmare to get stranded with a dead battery after stopping in for gas or food. No cell, no gps and miles and miles away from any sign of life. This is not a chance that I want to take.

·
Super Moderator
63,576 Posts
Right there is your problem Shredder, starting the bike and letting it idle. The VTX does not charge the battery at idle and by starting it you are actually draining the battery little by little. Put the trickle charger on the bike, cover it up and leave it alone until you can get out and ride it. you are also risking condensation build up inside the engine and frame and fuel tank because the engine does not get hot enough at idle to burn off that condensation

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Mine usually dies over the winter months. I have now put it on a slow charger and every once in a while start it and let it idle. Thinking back to the places I have been to, it'll be a nightmare to get stranded with a dead battery after stopping in for gas or food. No cell, no gps and miles and miles away from any sign of life. This is not a chance that I want to take.
Right there is your problem Shredder, starting the bike and letting it idle. The VTX does not charge the battery at idle and by starting it you are actually draining the battery little by little. Put the trickle charger on the bike, cover it up and leave it alone until you can get out and ride it. you are also risking condensation build up inside the engine and frame and fuel tank because the engine does not get hot enough at idle to burn off that condensation
To be clear, when you say slow charger and Spike says trickle charger, one should know that both should refer to a battery tender. A far better solution for AGM batteries than a charger. Please, do yourself a favor and follow Spike's advice. My brother-in-law needs to replace his battery every spring for the same reason, and he can't just let the bike sit. I don't know why, but he has to start the bike every now and again and completely screw things up.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts