Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
you want an old flip phone or a smart phone..

same difference.

Battery Tender has a computer controller..

just like today's cars have computer controlled charging systems.. not just a set voltage charger.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,595 Posts
over months this type can cook a battery DRY. aka no control
Agreed, not the same. Battery Tender is a float charger, meaning it only throws current to the battery if it senses it needs to. Trickle chargers constantly charge so the battery never rests
Absolutely right. Here's a better description from the Deltran (Battery Tender company):

1. How is the Battery Tender® Jr. battery charger different from a trickle charger?

The Battery Tender® Junior (BTJR) battery charger has microprocessor controlled power electronic circuitry which enables it to preform and safely control a number of sophisticated charging functions, well beyond the capability of inexpensive trickle chargers. Some legacy marketing literature refers to the BTJR as a “Trickle Charger with a Brain”. That description was based in context on two parts, first the relatively low output current, and second, the reduced level of charge control sophistication on earlier BTJR models relative to the BT Plus. Since mid-2006 the only major functional difference between the BTJR and the BT Plus is the maximum amplitude of the charger current, 0.75 and 1.25 amperes, respectively. Even though the marketing description may still be applicable, again, in a limited context, we can say now that the BTJR has a larger brain that enables it to create maximum charge effectiveness with minimal output current amplitude.
After connecting the BTJR to a battery and then applying AC power, it first conducts a number of checks during Initialization Mode to ensure that the battery functioning normally. Then it will deliver its full charge at a constant rate of 0.75 amperes. This is called the Bulk Charge Mode. The battery voltage will rise and when it reaches a predetermined level the BTJR will hold the battery charge voltage constant at that level, allowing the charge current amplitude to drop. This is the Absorption Charge Mode. The Absorption Charge Mode is complete when the battery charge current drops below a very low value, usually below 1/8 ampere. Some BTJR models have timers to limit the duration of the Absorption Charge Mode.
After the current drops or the allotted time expires (typically several hours), the BTJR automatically switches to a Float / Maintenance Charge Mode. The purpose of the Float / Maintenance Charge Mode is to maintain the battery voltage just slightly (typically between 1/10 and ½ volt) above where it would be if it were fully charged and sitting at rest. This keeps the battery topped off at voltages well below the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery.
Based on price alone, trickle chargers often appear to be a better economic choice for the typical consumer, but trickle chargers do not have the advantage of sophisticated electronic control. Therefore, as they allow the value of charge current to trickle down to what appears to be safe levels, the output voltage of the charger may very well rise to an unacceptably high level, sometimes even going higher than 16 VDC depending on the charger type and the battery that is connected to it. This magnitude of voltage is far above the gassing voltage of a lead acid battery. If the battery remains connected to this high level of voltage for an extended period of time, extreme damage may be done to the battery. Without Battery Tender® type electronic safety controls, what appears to be an initial cost savings for the charger may actually cost several times the charger price in replacement batteries.

1. How are the BatteryTender® Plus and Junior battery chargers different from other automatic battery chargers?

Many automatic battery chargers simply turn off when the battery voltage rises to a preset level or when the charge current falls below a certain level. With the battery sitting idle, its internal losses will consume much of its stored charge. Depending upon the age and condition of the battery, it may only take a couple of months before the battery loses more than 90% of its charge. The amount of charge lost tracks pretty well with the reduction in battery terminal voltage.
Some automatic chargers will restart when they sense that the battery voltage is too low. As a battery goes through these types of cycles of repeated charging and idle self-discharge to low capacity levels, the useful battery life may be dramatically reduced.
Both the BatteryTender® Plus & Junior battery chargers do not turn off after they charge the battery. They automatically switch to a safe float voltage level that keeps the battery charged and yet does not do any harm to the battery. In fact, in most cases, this type of charge maintenance will extend the battery’s useful life by at least 50%.
Some customers have reported battery life increases of more than double what they had before using the Battery Tender® Plus or Battery Tender® Junior battery chargers.

From this URL:
http://www.batterytender.com/faq/products

There is more information there. You can save yourself untold levels of battery grief by using the best storage methods.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I had on Battery Tender Jr fail on me (it let my battery drop below 80% and didn't automatically kick back on), so now I only buy the full Battery Tender (not the jr line).

I also get in a habit of unplugging my tender from my vehicles wait a few seconds (until the red light begins flashing) then plug it back in.

I have an 1985 Mercedes that I don't drive very often, and my bike, they are always on my tenders.

·
Premium Member
6,595 Posts
I had on Battery Tender Jr fail on me (it let my battery drop below 80% and didn't automatically kick back on), so now I only buy the full Battery Tender (not the jr line).

I also get in a habit of unplugging my tender from my vehicles wait a few seconds (until the red light begins flashing) then plug it back in.

I have an 1985 Mercedes that I don't drive very often, and my bike, they are always on my tenders.
And there are other brands as well. Sometimes things fail, and not necessarily because it's the "Jr" version, but either way, an upgrade is rarely a bad thing.

·
Registered
714 Posts
http://www.batterytender.com/warranty-information

Battery Tender's have a 10 year warranty.. you only pay the shipping.
I’m not complaining about the Jr, it is more for a PSA to make sure that actually is kicking back on for winter people. Mine failed some time during winter storage on my ZX12r which has a battery tray that is inside the frame, it was probably the hardest battery to get to I’ve ever seen.

My personal preference now is to buy the full sized Battery Tenders instead of the Jr. My belief (I could be wrong) is the larger components inside will be less prone to failure.

The other thing to note was it was in a non-temperature controlled detached garage, so it had to handle NY winter and summer temperatures. I haven’t had any failures with the full sized ones yet, but after the Jr failure, I unplug and plug the cables back in every couple weeks, just to make sure they immediately flash green (indicating 80%+ battery charge).

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I had one Jr also fail..

like I posted before the standard Battery Tender for the motorcycle is over 10 years old...
YES, on the unheated garage in North East Ohio....
where I have seen minus 10 inside the garage...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I had one Jr also fail..

like I posted before the standard Battery Tender for the motorcycle is over 10 years old...
YES, on the unheated garage in North East Ohio....
where I have seen minus 10 inside the garage...
Does the "Jr" trickle charge just as good as the full size Battery tender model, or?

I have both but have been too lazy to switch them. I brought the big one for charging/initializing a new battery. used it once so far.

·
Premium Member
6,595 Posts
Does the "Jr" trickle charge just as good as the full size Battery tender model, or?

I have both but have been too lazy to switch them. I brought the big one for charging/initializing a new battery. used it once so far.
The "Jr." does maintain a battery just as well as the "+". The difference is that the "Jr." is only 0.75A charging max. so if charging speed were a concern the the "+" would be a better choice. My get is because of the bigger housing the "+" likely has the components mounted better. I have had several different brands due to having too many bikes, and Battery Tender is a good one. I also have had Optima and NoCo Genius. They all help extend battery life and all do a fine job of maintaining a battery during storage.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The "Jr." does maintain a battery just as well as the "+". The difference is that the "Jr." is only 0.75A charging max. so if charging speed were a concern the the "+" would be a better choice. My get is because of the bigger housing the "+" likely has the components mounted better. I have had several different brands due to having too many bikes, and Battery Tender is a good one. I also have had Optima and NoCo Genius. They all help extend battery life and all do a fine job of maintaining a battery during storage.
I'll switch them tomorrow.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'll switch them tomorrow.
The good thing is, they use the same plug. You can swap them back and forth as often as you like.

I also buy the battery tender cable extenders. So my tender sits on a shelf, and I have lots of cable. On my '85 Benz and my wifes car I have extenders so that I can get to the cable without opening the hood (I routed them up to the grill).

Click image for link the extension cord (I actually ordered it from Amazon for a little cheaper):

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
yep.. my tender is mounted on a shelf next to the motorcycle and I added an ON/OFF 120 volt light switch with 2 power outlets .. to power up/down the tender any time I want.

remember in the BT manual
power tender "OFF" ... plug bike into charger.. then power 'ON' tender.

and I can do the above while sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I use the cigarette lighter adapter for my battery tender. Makes it easier to plug and unplug and no wire dangling. I was having trouble with the covers breaking off on the original plug type.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just bought myself a Viking (from HF) lithium jump starter for the car. It's relatively compact but not nearly small enough to carry it in a bike bag. Since the demands of a bike battery is so much less, I was wondering if there are any smaller jumpers that are still good enough for jump starting the VTX. Got burned by a dead battery after stopping for gas a while back. Thank God I was close to home otherwise I'd be a missing person.
I have one of these,and used it several times to boost other cars. I carry it in my truck,and on long trips on my VTX . It works great and holds a charge for a long time.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts