Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a bunch on here and searched and searched and I can't seem to find too much about the different volumes of pipes, except for a few extremes. Anyhow, I'm looking for a nice looking set of pipes that are just a little bit louder and beefier than stock pipes, but not a set that's going to have my passenger plugging her ears or having people around me pissed. I just want them a little louder so people do know there's a motorcycle there and then I just want them a little deeper so the sound is a little meaner. Any suggestions? I was looking at the Roadhouse Dooleys but I have leatherlykes and they ride awfully high, afraid that they might look weird with a low dual exhaust. Also, the Cobra longs seem good,but they might be a bit loud. Anyhow, I could go on with all the different ones I like, but any recommendations? Thanks guys and gals!

Curtis

·
Registered
95 Posts
The V&H Cruisers are a nice looking pipe and not real loud. They also sell baffles to tone them down also. The Roadhouse look good but loud. The Bubs also loud. I've heard all of these and the V&H are the less loudest.
David

G

·
You might want to first try the Clayton Root mod, (drilling out your pipes) do a search on here for it. It will tell you all about it. I did that first, than i put the cobra longs on. They are great, my girlfriend says they dont seem as loud when she is on the bike as the clayton mod did. That is because they go straight back and are beyond the passegers ears ;). They are very deep and are louder than they seem sitting on the bike. which is what i wanted, i want the cars to hear me but dont want my ear drums pounding. good luck

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
cobra custom deluxe slash cut.......nice deep throaty sound and can be easily modded if you want to go louder. these aren't so loud you wake the neighbors.....unless you want to and jack the throttle

·
Registered
479 Posts
I just did clayton rood deep mod on my bike last Saturday and like it so far.

Did drill mid section with 12" long 1/2" drill bit and made 6 holes in fist plate then drilled 3 with 12" long again, will post picture so you can see which one.

There you go, if you drill all holes with 1/2" and those marked red with 12" long 1/2" bit, you are going to get much better sound of those stocker pipes.

Here is the cut-out how does pipe looks like inside:

If you are local to Triad area NC, shoot me an email/pm so you can hear it in person how does it sound.

Very sincerely,

Dino

·
Registered
479 Posts
I just did clayton rood deep mod on my bike last Saturday and like it so far.

Did drill mid section with 12" long 1/2" drill bit and made 6 holes in fist plate then drilled 3 with 12" long again, will post picture so you can see which one.

There you go, if you drill all holes with 1/2" and those marked red with 12" long 1/2" bit, you are going to get much better sound of those stocker pipes.

Here is the cut-out how does pipe looks like inside:

If you are local to Triad area NC, shoot me an email/pm so you can hear it in person how does it sound.

Very sincerely,

Dino

·
Registered
37 Posts
Vance and Hines Big shots. I have had so many complements on the look and sound that I cant even keep track anymore. In fact just the other day I saw a Guy on a Harley bagger showing his bike off to his buddies. When he was done revving his motor I decided to let mine talk for a second, when I let off, his buddies turned to him and I don't know what they said but the guy on the Harley gave em both the Bird!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
pipe drilling

Try only drilling the holes that go around the lond deep center hole. I put 9 half inch hols around the center on both pipes. Sond id very good indeed. Make sure you use a center punch prior to drilling so the bit dosent stray. Also use a GOOD SHARPE drill bit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Send the stock pipes off to VTX Exhaust.com - link in my sig.
Sound is great, they also offer a baffle to make them more quiet (just a little louder thatn stock).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just drilled my stock exhaust on the Fourth and BANG was I surprised with the difference and I just drilled the first baffle six holes in each five like a smiley face and the one on top of the exhaust.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet

thanks for all the tips! I think I'm close to making up my mind. This has helped a bunch! I appreciate all the tips guys! Have a good one!

Curtis

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have the Hard Krome 2.5 Strippers exhaust mounted on my 1300C. Nothin' but good looks and compliments on my choice of pipes. Note: the HK Strippers come without the endcaps (sold separately), but still look fine without the endcaps if you wish. The HK endcaps are way, way too overpriced (approx. $72 EACH!!) for 5 inches of metal. Would make more sense if the endcaps sold as a pair for $72 instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts