Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you handle the situation when you come up on a bike sitting at a red light or intersection? I typically pull up next to the person, check out their bike, exchange a pleasant hello, and let them move on. A guy I know, says he prefers to hang back. Just curious how you handle this situation or if there is some unwritten "old school" rule out there. :D

Is it different if you come upon a group of bikes at a light?

·
Registered
786 Posts
You are a Honda rider and.....You meet the nicest people on a Honda.

Being freindly is about how you see yourself. Say hello, if the kindness is not returned, it is not a reflection of you.

OK, I'm done with my daily dose of Zen :D

If it is a crew, you may want to handle a little more cautiously

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Usually my bike is too loud to hear anyone farther away than 6", so I rarely have to worry about exchanging a kind word with a fellow rider. I mostly let them get close enough, then flick a booger on them.

jk

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
JayHawkX said:
I mostly let them get close enough, then flick a booger on them.

jk
LMAO!!
Too funny!!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
What I do and see mostly is to hang back about 1/2 bike length. That way he can motion you up if he wants, without seeming like you want to race him. He also sees that he's the first to "get off the line". But whatever works for you.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
:D I pull up beside him and make sure that I'm the first one off the line :shock: But I say hi first :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
I always hang back unless they motion me forward. I'm kinda funny like that. I feel if I roll up right next to them I might be invading their space. I guess that is because that is the way I feel. That is why I hang in the middle of the lane at lights.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Woot! said:
What I do and see mostly is to hang back about 1/2 bike length. That way he can motion you up if he wants, without seeming like you want to race him. He also sees that he's the first to "get off the line". But whatever works for you.
I agree, I also hang back. I don't want him to think I'm try to stoplight race him nor do I want to encroach in his space.

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
Heheh....if it's a Busa I say... " Bet'cha think that's fast" Then when the light turns green I smoke'm off the line and leave'm behind till I hit about 80...then I shut'r down for the next light....then I do it again :twisted:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Duug said:
Heheh....if it's a Busa I say... " Bet'cha think that's fast" Then when the light turns green I smoke'm off the line and leave'm behind till I hit about 80...then I shut'r down for the next light....then I do it again :twisted:
Until your alarm clock goes off and its time to get up and go to work? :)

Couldn’t resist!
:) 8)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I pull up next to em exchange greetings be it nice bike or a piece of shit, then smokem off the line. :lol:

If I am with the Southern Cruisers we shut down the intersection and go though it. :twisted:

Be Safe

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just pull up and say hi. I've nerver been around anybody that wasn't nice to me yet...

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
In case you've never noticed the Xc is very quick off the line. The Busa is faster no doubt but, only after it gets goin'. Meanwhile, hahahahahaha, they eat dust :twisted: Try it sometime.

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
Add a few air/fuel/exh mods ana 200 metz...and you'll be ahead for 60 to 90 yards. Just be careful where ya do this. Safety first !!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I'm fortunate to have ridden across this country-- well not to the right hand coast, but Oregon down to Texas, thru a lot of states on the way [who goes straight, eh?]. Every time i've come to a light after another bike, I pull right next to him or her. It takes less space than sitting back and that was my first reason, but now I do it so I can nod to them maybe even compliment their bike. I've never had anyone be nasty-- and I am not an intimidating guy at all [5"10, 195, and 61.66 years old... yuk]. They're nice, I think, because we're both riding and that's our bottom line.
Well, there were those 2 Banditos in Colorado... but they even smiled and said hi, eventually.
It's as someone has on their signature: it's not what you ride, it's that you do ride.
And I gotta add this: I pulled beside a guy in a motorized wheelchair the other day. I smiled, gave him a thumbs up: I think he loved it!
But I *did* take him off the line.
:wink:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Monstermile said:
I always hang back unless they motion me forward. I'm kinda funny like that. I feel if I roll up right next to them I might be invading their space. I guess that is because that is the way I feel. That is why I hang in the middle of the lane at lights.
I also hang back. It's ONE LANE and should only have ONE BIKE in it. I'm also rather offended when some stranger pulls up next to me in the same lane. Maybe it's the "space" thing or maybe it's a safety thing. I don't like it and don't do it. If someone were to motion me to pull up along side of them I'm not sure what I'd do. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be the one motioning someone else up (at least not another guy :wink: ).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts