Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all pay some really big and dumb prices for a variety of parts for our bikes, I know that. And we absolutely need the vendors and inventors, so we can make personal statements about our bikes. God bless them all. And I really mean that. But I'll be damn if I'm going to pay half a grand ($500) for a tach. Particularly one that probably costs less than 50 bucks. I know all about R&D, but $500! I use the Cyclecraft tach on my "C" and have been very happy with it. Now I need one for my Retro with the Autometer tach and I'm told it costs $500!!! Ever since I heard that, I have a picture in my mind of a distant voice calling.....Hey Stupid!! But this time I refuse to answer. Now, if some one can supply me with the Autometer tach number (I'm gonna find it anyway) I will make a simple bracket of 1/4" aluminum, bend and shape it, have it chromed, make it attachable to the back side of the existing handle bar clamp and probably want have more than $150 in it. For sure someone's gonna come back with a reply that it can't be done for this or that reason. But I use to do minor fabrication on my race cars and I've stared at the clamp on my Retro for an hour. It's doable. And i'll post the results when finished. Now who's got that number or do I have to call Autometer in the morning.
Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I have an Autometer on my 02' retro, I will see if I can get that number for you....I paid around $245.00 for my tach from them, The ballmilled mount was around $250.00..... :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,633 Posts
harris48cars,

I've seen many folks here trying to figure out the tach delemma and allways wondered why theye'd spend so much on something that wasn't really used? A tach on our bikes I feel is allmost useless and probably only looked at while cruising for reference. I have tach's in my truck, car, boats, race car, and the only one that gets a look on a regular basis is the race car and thats because it's right in front of my face and large enough to get my attention :wink: and hit the right shift points. The others are used as a reference while cruising, like the boat tach for example, I sinc the motors with them. On the other hand the car and truck never get a look but their there.

I guess I never really figured out the use of a tach on a bike without a shift light other then looks and they sure don't look like $300 to $500 worth of use. If I have the joy factor kicked in I'm too busy looking where I'm going :shock: to be looking down at a tach it all happens too fast.

I mean no disrespect here, just wondering.

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Whoa, Don. Careful, those free-thinking ideas will get you in trouble! Like you, I have tachs everywhere and don't use them - my persional favorite is a tach on an automatic transmission truck. Anyway, I have a tuning tach I use to check the base rpm's when I service the bike, just to make sure it's idling OK. Other than that, it's based on feel, sound, etc. while I'm riding. Just my thoughts - there's way too mnay other things I want to spend my $500 on ( chrome!) than a tach, and since I'm not yet independently wealthy, I think I'll pass on the tach.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,633 Posts
TaxMan said:
Whoa, Don. Careful, those free-thinking ideas will get you in trouble! Like you, I have tachs everywhere and don't use them - my persional favorite is a tach on an automatic transmission truck. Anyway, I have a tuning tach I use to check the base rpm's when I service the bike, just to make sure it's idling OK. Other than that, it's based on feel, sound, etc. while I'm riding. Just my thoughts - there's way too mnay other things I want to spend my $500 on ( chrome!) than a tach, and since I'm not yet independently wealthy, I think I'll pass on the tach.
I'm with you on this one, lots more bling bling for da money. :wink:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don and Taxman, I pretty much agree with all you've said. I don't need the tach other than I think it adds a nice look. Only time I really use it is on the opccasion when I feel like really winding it out (Not very often) or if I can't remember if I've gone into 5th gear or not, a glance at the RPM's tells me. Otherwise, as you say, it's pretty much a waste. HD's Road king has a nice tach and housing, $175, that I could adapt, but can't remove the Harley logo stamped on the face. I also have found a source for many housings that a tach can fit in to.

Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,181 Posts
DonG said:
harris48cars,

I've seen many folks here trying to figure out the tach delemma and allways wondered why theye'd spend so much on something that wasn't really used? A tach on our bikes I feel is allmost useless and probably only looked at while cruising for reference. I have tach's in my truck, car, boats, race car, and the only one that gets a look on a regular basis is the race car and thats because it's right in front of my face and large enough to get my attention :wink: and hit the right shift points. The others are used as a reference while cruising, like the boat tach for example, I sinc the motors with them. On the other hand the car and truck never get a look but their there.

I guess I never really figured out the use of a tach on a bike without a shift light other then looks and they sure don't look like $300 to $500 worth of use. If I have the joy factor kicked in I'm too busy looking where I'm going :shock: to be looking down at a tach it all happens too fast.

I mean no disrespect here, just wondering.

Don
No arguments here, I bought teh Cobra because it was inexpensive and I like having it as a reference like you mentioned. I always tell people when they ask about it, if I'm riding hard I'm watching the road not the tach, lol... :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
you can use a cheap LCD inductive tach. I have seen them for 50 to 75 bucks. I use them on my karts for years. Just a thought do a google search for inductive tachs. I used to get them from J.C. Whitney for 19.99.....but wait if you act now.......
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went looking for tach and materials this morning. I found a VDO 2 1/2 ("their best motorcycle tach"), the ad says. Found a cup and a chrome HD mount. I ordered these parts, $86. I'll need to slightly modify the mounting bracket to make it look "factory". I'll post pics when it's all done.

Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
992 Posts
Harris48 Cars< Yeah,price of tachs and everything else is sad. But I got the Rivco tach from HDL and it functions well and is easier to peek at it than the speedo. P.S. its a nice piece of jewerly. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Retro Tachs

Went looking for tach and materials this morning. I found a VDO 2 1/2 ("their best motorcycle tach"), the ad says. Found a cup and a chrome HD mount. I ordered these parts, $86. I'll need to slightly modify the mounting bracket to make it look "factory". I'll post pics when it's all done.
harris48cars
Yeah, I love this idea. Let us know how the VDO 2 1/2" worked out on your Retro electricals! Want to do the same thing...and would love pics when you're through. Keep us informed!
THANKS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Roller here from Cyclecraft. The reason the Autometer tach kits are so expensive is for the fact that the Autometer tach costs a lot of money! We sell our kit for the Retro for $464.00 (Chrome) and $419.00 (Polished), yes that is close to $500. The Drag Specialties Tach Kit retails for $334.00 (Chrome), and $289.00 (Polished). See the huge difference between the Drag and the Autometer. Also, I was wondering where people are finding VDO tachs? We used to carry VDO tachs, but they went out of business! I would love to carry them again.

Brad Roller
Cyclecraft Engineering
1036 Marcin St
Visalia CA 93291
(559)622-0939
[email protected]
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roller2876 said:
Roller here from Cyclecraft. The reason the Autometer tach kits are so expensive is for the fact that the Autometer tach costs a lot of money! We sell our kit for the Retro for $464.00 (Chrome) and $419.00 (Polished), yes that is close to $500. The Drag Specialties Tach Kit retails for $334.00 (Chrome), and $289.00 (Polished). See the huge difference between the Drag and the Autometer. Also, I was wondering where people are finding VDO tachs? We used to carry VDO tachs, but they went out of business! I would love to carry them again.

Brad Roller
Cyclecraft Engineering
1036 Marcin St
Visalia CA 93291
(559)622-0939
[email protected]
Well hello Roller. Called you last week and you were going to check with someone about selling me just the tach, as I wanted to retain my handlebar clamp that say's "VTX" on it. You were going to call me back. Are you still checking? No big deal. Most of the time I expect to be ignored by vendors. VDO is still in buisness. They've branched out in to other areas along with keeping thier instrumentation buisness. Formerly located in Winchester, Va. (20 miles from me) I belive they relocated to Mexico but not sure. Search, VDO and you will find them. You'll have to jump thru some hoops to navicate their site. Oh, no need to check with the head guy any longer on my be-half. By not getting back to me I'm going to save a few hundred bucks. Thanks.
Gary
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Retro Tachs

phildad said:
Went looking for tach and materials this morning. I found a VDO 2 1/2 ("their best motorcycle tach"), the ad says. Found a cup and a chrome HD mount. I ordered these parts, $86. I'll need to slightly modify the mounting bracket to make it look "factory". I'll post pics when it's all done.
harris48cars
Yeah, I love this idea. Let us know how the VDO 2 1/2" worked out on your Retro electricals! Want to do the same thing...and would love pics when you're through. Keep us informed!
THANKS!
Count on it. I'm heading down to the place I ordered from to see if the parts have come in.
Gary
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Parts are in and I picked them up. I can email pictures if there's not too many requests or maybe someone can put them on the board for me. There are 4 holes in the mounting bracket. You can put lights in them, chrome caps (my dealer has them) or leave them blank. In the pics I show several mounting positions and I've already came up with ideas for a couple more, but after I had already taken pics. This unit came with a "V" bracket also which is mounted on the rear (you can see it in one of the pics) of the tach. If I can figure how the "front " bracket comes off, which I will, it would be a piece of cake to put a bend in the rear bracket and bolt it to the front side of the handlebar top clamp. But I'll have to see what the tach looks like without the front bracket first. If I were to mount it on top of the handle bar clamp I was thinking I could run a stainless bolt through the bottom side of the clamp and put chrome acorn nuts on top. I'll come up with something. The shop that sold me the tach is going to engineer the wiring and hook it up. I'm doing 6" risers and won't work on the tach until they are finished. I'm thinking I should have the tach on and running by the end of next week, maybe sooner.

Gary
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
harris48cars said:
Parts are in and I picked them up. I can email pictures if there's not too many requests or maybe someone can put them on the board for me.
Please put them up - maybe even write a mod....
You know, for some of us "You want me to fabricate a what?" types...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
harris48cars said:
Roller2876 said:
Roller here from Cyclecraft. The reason the Autometer tach kits are so expensive is for the fact that the Autometer tach costs a lot of money! We sell our kit for the Retro for $464.00 (Chrome) and $419.00 (Polished), yes that is close to $500. The Drag Specialties Tach Kit retails for $334.00 (Chrome), and $289.00 (Polished). See the huge difference between the Drag and the Autometer. Also, I was wondering where people are finding VDO tachs? We used to carry VDO tachs, but they went out of business! I would love to carry them again.

Brad Roller
Cyclecraft Engineering
1036 Marcin St
Visalia CA 93291
(559)622-0939
[email protected]
Well hello Roller. Called you last week and you were going to check with someone about selling me just the tach, as I wanted to retain my handlebar clamp that say's "VTX" on it. You were going to call me back. Are you still checking? No big deal. Most of the time I expect to be ignored by vendors. VDO is still in buisness. They've branched out in to other areas along with keeping thier instrumentation buisness. Formerly located in Winchester, Va. (20 miles from me) I belive they relocated to Mexico but not sure. Search, VDO and you will find them. You'll have to jump thru some hoops to navicate their site. Oh, no need to check with the head guy any longer on my be-half. By not getting back to me I'm going to save a few hundred bucks. Thanks.
Gary
We just got off the phone with the Dan who owns D&S performance, which makes VDO tachometers for Motorcycles. At this time, there are no VDO Motorcycle tachs being produced. Siemans bought out VDO, and they will not supply him with the 3 remaining parts needed to complete the VDO tachs for bikes. They are going through a huge battle right now, and they hope it will be over soon, so that once again there will be VDO tachs for customers to choose from. The VDO you had mentioned that is in Mexico, is for automobile tachometers and instruments. If anyone knows of any VDO motorcycle tachs on a shelf somewhere, I would love to purchase them!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top