Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone has brought this up before but here goes.
I see alot of adds in my mags for products that claim to make the redlight sensors see you. I was wondering if these are real or not.

My delima is that I have gotten stuck at a couple lights already and have only had a bike for about 3 weeks now. First time, I had to wait for a cager to pull up behind me so it would trigger the light waited about 5 mins.

Second time was at night, waiting about 5 mins for someone to pull up behind me again and nothing so I ended up running the redlight.

I know there are alot of knowledgable riders on here and hope someone can enlighten me on this issue.

As always, Thanks for any help you can give.
Bode

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have had one on my bike for over a year and yes they do really work. These things are nothing more than a strong magnet, mounted in a plastic box, which help ithe sensor loop at the stop light, which is buried in the asphalt as you pull up to the stop-light, pick up your bike. These magnets emit its own magnetic field which interupts this coils field, and alerts the sensor to your presence, kinda like a metal detector. I also mounted several other rare-earth magnets (bought off Ebay), around on my frame under the engine, and have never sat at a stop light since....well maybe once- the light was stuck!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Do a search on this on the board -- there was some discussion last year about this. I always pulled up right in the middle of whatever squares I could see. Since reading the discussions on how these things work I now stop right over the "outline" of the squares -- and haven't had to wait for a cager since.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I am cursed with a bad light at work. Our parking entry makes the 4th direction of an otherwise 3 way intersection. Seems the mechanism isn't real good at picking up cars much, so the bike won't ever trigger it. I run that light 3 times a week at least. I always think about it though, cause I work accross the road from the local lock up. Police are always in and out of there. I guess if I ever get a ticket I will fight it in court with a video of the light, and a timer to show that it doesn't work for beans.

G

·
0 Posts
Tennessee

I live in Alabama but heard recently that the stste of Tennessee has passed a law that allows motorcycles to proceed through a red light, if the bike will not trip it. This obviously should only be done after waiting several minutes and looking for traffic. Other states will most likely follow.

Bama

·
Registered
93 Posts
Minnesota passed that same law about a year or so ago.

If they would just adjust the sensors correctly we would not have any problems. There is more then enough metal in any bike to be detected by the field coils, some installers are just too lazy to set them properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts