Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Old Goat
24,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9year old frost free whirlpool side by side....works as it should ,except during defrost cycle drain pan over flows a bunch...use to be just now and then...but lately about every 2 weeks.....any body got a clue....dont mind replacing ,but inquiring minds want to know....many thanks

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
the defroster circuit is overworking......

staying ON.. much longer or just staying on all the time.

or someone is opening the frig door 100 times a day..

even could be a failed/damaged door gasket... aka Air Leak...

·
Registered
751 Posts
The fan might not be running. There's a fan that blows air over the pan to aid in evaporation (and take heat away from compressor).
On our old fridge there was so much dog hair that accumulated that the fan stopped spinning. Little cleaning and all was well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think this guy solved his symptom but not his problem. The idea is normally the water drains to the pan then evaporates. But the hose gets plugged with dust and goop, which stops the water from draining, then it freezes, then the water comes out of places it shouldnt. I think he should poke a fine wire through there to clean out the sludge so the water can move freely . So the day before payday when your fridge is almost empty unplug your fridge and let it thaw several hours, then run the wire through the hose. Ya, it can be pretty nasty back there. Good time to clean up as much as you can.

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
I had one of the two halogen defrosters stop working from a bad connection and what defrosted could not drain from the frozen drain ports.
It ran out freezer side. I soldered the connections and has been good for many years. I am a frequent cleaner of the "ice box" exterior freon tubing and have oiled the fan once when it got noisy.
25 years and still running. GE

Take a look at the defrosters, could be an intermittent open.
A normal defrost would not overflow but when it misses a cycle or partial defrosting then the next one could be the flood.

·
Old Goat
24,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...coils clean...unit clean..all fans run....its apparent that water is overflowing from right front corner of drain pan...I will inspect it ,,but as most things getting to it will require some effort...will call whirlpool in the morning just to see what they dont know....even though unit is just 9 years old...I dont think I will put money into repair when money better served to buy new...I dont need much in a frig...so replacement shouldn’t cost much....:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
When I clean my coils near the floor I bump the drain pan often.
I use PVC extension pipes connected to the vacuum and a long handle brush with a long tapered brush section.
Any possibility of hitting the drain pan and possibly shifting it??

·
Old Goat
24,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I clean my coils near the floor I bump the drain pan often.
I use PVC extension pipes connected to the vacuum and a long handle brush with a long tapered brush section.
Any possibility of hitting the drain pan and possibly shifting it??
Coils are on the front....I use my air compressor to clean coils...pan is factory taped in place...I’m scratching my head as to volume of water...initially it was not much ...but lately it soaks a bath towel...Ive monitored unit and leak only seems to occur on defrost cycle...bunch of info on utube/internet...but so far nothing addressing my problem...thanks

Just for the heck of it I will shut off water supply to rule out supply line leak...I got nothing but time...:grin2: ...I can live with intermittent leak till such time I fix or replace...

·
Registered
11,345 Posts
Good thinking about the ice maker.
I have well water and use a string wound filter.
I tried a pleated filter once, fine grit blasted through it.
Wash machine strainer on intake clued me about needing a filter when we had low flow.

·
Old Goat
24,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will add this....the volume is such that the pan doesnt have enough time to evaporate(empty)...so as it cycles ,pan is constantly getting topped off till overflow occurs..

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Do you run AC or heat in the house to reduce the humidity of all the air? As wet as many places have been, humidity might be too much for the refrigerator to overcome. When running an air conditioner, the first stage of cooling is dehumidification. Once the humidity is reduced then the room feels cooler. Something, one of the previously mentioned conditions, is making it over-work.

·
Old Goat
24,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you run AC or heat in the house to reduce the humidity of all the air? As wet as many places have been, humidity might be too much for the refrigerator to overcome. When running an air conditioner, the first stage of cooling is dehumidification. Once the humidity is reduced then the room feels cooler. Something, one of the previously mentioned conditions, is making it over-work.
U have a point...except happens in all types of household environment...brother had similar problem in one of his rental properties...after $175 and no joy..opted for new unit....

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Time running before defrost may be too long, a sign the timer is going, maybe. Most aren't too expensive. I would still make sure whatever it uses to evaporate condensate water is working. Usually a type of heater or even a HotGas line in the pan.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Thanks guys...coils clean...unit clean..all fans run....its apparent that water is overflowing from right front corner of drain pan...I will inspect it ,,but as most things getting to it will require some effort...will call whirlpool in the morning just to see what they dont know....even though unit is just 9 years old...I dont think I will put money into repair when money better served to buy new...I dont need much in a frig...so replacement shouldn’t cost much....:thumbup:
$2000 new up to $5000. Prices are crazy.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Not me...No bells and whistles...$700 delivered from Lowes. Is all I need (single man,no kids,no pets)......:thumbup:
Be very careful with Lowe's warranty policies. A few years ago, I paid for a 50 gal. hot water tank with a 12 year warranty. When it went defective just after a couple years, they replaced no problem, but instead of getting a new 12 year warranty, now this new one was only good for 8-1/2 years. BS.

·
Old Goat
24,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fridge....Update

Well u guys on the forum taught me early on K.I.S.S principle...I guess I forgot it....never did find the leak....turned the water off ...problem solved....DUH!!!!!...went old school....water jug and ice trays....I’m a happy camper...thanks for all the replies....

·
Registered
9,444 Posts
that's 'OK'

my frig.. freezer working fine ( -5 "F" ).. frig only 55 degrees...

found the problem... no parts available...

so for the summer I removed the frig part controller .

its keeping at 42 degrees. running max cold on the frig.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts