Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the fender on my 2004 "N" "cleaned up" (removed the license plate bracket and light) filled and painted. I would like to get it re-mounted without scratching it, any suggestions? The painter suggested masking tape. However, it seems to be a tight fit and I'm not sure if I can get the tape out after installation?. Has anybody done this successfully?
Help!! It wasn't cheap!!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just had my bike painted as well. Had the same concerns you have, as I did scratch it a bit taking it off. I used some painters tape to cover the frame that wraps around the fender. Once it's mounted, you can take the tape off pretty easily. It's not as "sticky" as regular masking tape. Just take your time, and it will all come off smoothly.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
take the chrome pieces that have the 3 bolts that attach to your rear fender right off. if i remember right you have to detach the top of your shock, but its worth it if you really dont want to scratch your rear fender.

i had mine painted and scratch the rear fender big time trying to sqeeze it between the 2 chrome pieces when i took it off. PA phil told me to do this to avoid scratching when i got it back and it worked great.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
its a 2 person job, 1 person holding the fender and the other putting the bolts back in.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Ditto the 2 person tip. If you go slow and steady - one in the front & the other in the back - you can do it without scratching.

·
Super Moderator
63,884 Posts
Tape the fender rails up. This way you don't have to worry about the tape not coming off the fender. If it doesn't come off the backside of the rail right away you won't see it and after a few washes the tape will fall off 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts