Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a pair of Big City Thunder Baffles today but I can't get the old baffles out of the Jardines. The baffles that come with the Jardines are more of a inner sleave made with perferated steel. I took a drive pin and pushed them towards the end of the pipe about an inch but I'm concerned I'll end up deforming the exhaust pipes when I'm beating the baffles out. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these kind of baffles out?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
204 Posts
Jardines

My Jardine baffles burned out within a thousand miles of install and I had the same thing happen when I went to remove and repack. The problem being that the stock baffle wrap was balling up and binding the baffle.
You need to just work it back and forth until it comes out, but it takes a while. Be careful when doing this cause it will allow the glass particles to be released into the air: very hard on your lungs, eyes, and skin.

You may need to use slide hammer hooked on the inside edge for removal, or do search on this board or go here http://www.bareasschoppers.com/ to make your own baffle removal tool. Good luck. and let me no how the new baffles compare to stock as I am tired of repacking.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I had the same problem when I pulled the baffles on a friend's Jardines. Shoot a little WD-40 in there and get them moving around to distribute the WD-40. They should come out after a few minutes of wiggling around.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pumped the WD40 to it and tried a slide hammer. That didn't work. I tried beating it out with a steel pin and a hammer. That didn't work. Then I slid an 1 7/8 steel pipe into it and drove it against a block of wood on the floor. That did the trick. It still took some time to drive the baffles out but they eventually came out. Then when I went to put the new Big City Thunder Baffle in the first tail pipe I reallized I bought the wrong size baffles. They should have been 2 1/8" not 2" baffles. Not one of my prouder moments in life. :oops: :x I fought with the wrapping when I was putting the old baffles back in for about 15 minutes. When I finally managed to assemble the pipes and fire the bike up the pipes chirped like there was a bird in the pipes. When I was trying to beat the baffle out with the steel pin and a hammer I figure I rolled the edge of the baffle and it caused it to make the tweety bird baffles sound. I was supposed tp meet my son to go for a ride so I just took it like that and stayed awat from anywhere that some might know me. The good news is that it'll be much easier to take out the old baffles when I get the right baffles. :) :)
The WD40 and 1 7/8" pipe is the way to go for this operation. These new baffles better work like they say they do. xtreem, you're right, the exhaust wrap is some nasty stuff, especially when your trying to put it back into the pipes.
Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bird

Glad you got them out. I have had that little bird living in my pipes a few different times. You realy have to pack them tight and then wire them on to get it to stop but I hope you like your new baffles when they arive.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Post your comments once you get the new baffles in, I haven't heard of anyone using those baffles with the Jardine.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to Jim at Big City Thunder this morning. He's sending out the correct size today and I'm sending the 2" baffles back.
Yesterday I pulled the baffles out to see if I could get rid of the chirping noice by running with no baffles at all. I thought the bike was a bit on the loud side with the baffles but damn :shock: that bike is to loud without baffles. I also got a lot of decel popping. I'll have to wait until Thursday night to get back out and ride. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they're worth the hassle. I'll post my opinions on the baffles afterward I take the bike out for a little ride.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
XMainer said:
I talked to Jim at Big City Thunder this morning. He's sending out the correct size today and I'm sending the 2" baffles back.
Yesterday I pulled the baffles out to see if I could get rid of the chirping noice by running with no baffles at all. I thought the bike was a bit on the loud side with the baffles but damn :shock: that bike is to loud without baffles. I also got a lot of decel popping. I'll have to wait until Thursday night to get back out and ride. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they're worth the hassle. I'll post my opinions on the baffles afterward I take the bike out for a little ride.

I look forward to hearing your report.

:)

e

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Evaluation of the Big City Thunder Baffles for Jardine Pipe

I received the Big City Thunder baffles on Thursday like they said. I'm impressed with Big City Thunder's customer service. Jim was very helpfuk and didn't skip a beat when I told him that I ordered the wrong set the first time.
The baffles fit perfectly without a lot of resistance. Putting the new baffles in required me to drill a hole in each pipe so that I could install the baffle about 6" up from the end. That's no big deal and only took a few minutes. 6" is supposed to be the sweat spot for the baffles. There's also supposed to be some variations in sound if you move the baffles either closer or further away from the end of the pipes. I haven't tried this yet but I think I will later.
Here's what I think of the baffles and what they do.
Volume - I'm a little disappointed in the impact on the volume of the pipes. If anything I think my bike is a louder than it was with the stock Jardine baffles in it. I was hoping for it to be a little quieter. I knew this was a gamble because no one made any claims on reducing volume. I think I can get used to them. We'll see after riding for a while.
Exhaust note - The bike sounds "crisper" I don't know how else to explain it. It's not tinny like a lot of people complain about. I think it got rid of the blub blub sound.
Performance - There's definatly more back pressure and the bike runs better than it did with the Jardine baffles. Not as much decel popping and I have better throttle response than before. There's supposed to be more horse power with these baffles but as that's not very important to me I don't think I'll take it to the Dyno place to have it checked out. But maybe later :twisted: we'll see.
Legally - These baffles may not make my bike quieter but one of the things cops do around here is check for baffles by sliding the night sticks up the pipes. Let's not get side tracked as to how legal that is because I don't know if it's a legal test or not but the stock Jardine baffles had no center stop in them and the new baffles do.
Overall I like the new baffles. I think they'll grow on me. I'll play around with locating them deeper or shallower in the pipes over the next few weeks to see what that does.
If there are any specific questions about them does hesitate to ask that why we're here for each other.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
what is the outside diameter (OD) of the thundermonsters for the jardines (just wonderin, as I'm looking around at replacement baffles)?

Are you still liking them?

Thanks,
e

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I swapped out my Jardines but i loved the sound and performance. In the early days of the board i think 2 people pulled the baffles and didnt like the effects. So i never tried changing mine.

If i ever put them back on im going to try the HP+ baffles from Kromewerks. Cheaper than the TMs and ive had good luck with them on other drag pipes.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe the inside diameter of my Jardines are 2 1/8". They pipes are getting to be a bit of a hassle because I can't get a sticker for them in Maine. The diameter of the pipe doesn't increase past the header pipes. I really like the sound of the pipes with the BCT baffles on. They're pretty loud and without a sticker I'm a little worried about the extra attention. I think I'll be trying something a little different for next season I just don't know what I want to do next.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The diameter of my Jardine drags are 2 1/2 outside and 2 3/8 from the inside. I can't find baffles to fit?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine Jardines are different than your are. They have must have two different versions out there. The best bet is to check the pipes you own before buying baffles.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How can I find information on Kromwerks baffles? I tried googling it and I don't get anything.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
www.khromewerks.com The pic i posted are of the 2 1/4" version

If they dont have the exact size, then either use a exhaust tubing expander or put a smaller diameter baffle inside of a 10"-12 long section of pipe then expand it to fit your needs. I think they are 9" long but you can cut off an inch or 2.

They have a great decel sound on drag pipes but are not very quiet. Passes a night stick test though. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the link. The night stick test was the next thing I was wondering about. The think I like about Big City Thunder is that they put a washer in the middle of the baffle to block them off for the night stick test. I wouldn't mind them if they were a little quieter. Has anyone heard these baffles compared to the Big City Thunder baffles? Is there a reduction in volume? Thanks

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm thinking about adding another baffle to my jardines. They aren't that loud, but after 8000 miles, they aren't as mellow as they used to be.

One that I could renew the wrap on from time to time.

e

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.