Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 09 vtx1300c is it possible to break the welds and remove the baffles, if so is there anything else i would need to do?? thanks in advance for your help guys

·
Registered
344 Posts
I recently bought an 09 vtx1300c is it possible to break the welds and remove the baffles, if so is there anything else i would need to do?? thanks in advance for your help guys
Here's what I did, and it's really easy.

Get a 12" long 1/2" drill bit. Drill 7 holes in the outer plate on the end of the pipes, around the exhaust hole. I made mine in a smiley face design but this is not necessary. Anyway, once you drill through the outer plate, shine a light inside the pipe and you will see a smaller round plate about 4-5" inside the outer plate. That is the baffle end plate. With patience you can get 4 or 5 good holes into this plate from the outside. If you have no patience like me, you will just drill the ***** out of the inner plate until it has a huge gaping hole in it...that works too.
Next, fire it up. It has a deeper sound at idle but really pops when you open up the throttle in 2-4 gears. I really like the new sound and I have never had any problem with decel backfiring.
Hope this helps...

·
Registered
72 Posts
The 09 VTX pipes on the 1300 are different than the previous models, doubt these owners will get seven 1/2" holes around the baffle plates? Will prolly have to go smaller with the bit, maybe a 1/4" or 5/16" would work jus drill around the baffle hole in the plate. I'm sure someone has done this to an 09 ???:dontknow:

·
Registered
18 Posts
i took mufflers off took chrome covers off drilled out welds and took the whole baffle out, destroyed them getting tem out. now it's wide open and sounds like crapp so know i'm making my own baffles to weld in side. I don't rcomend this to my worst enemy!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
The 09 VTX pipes on the 1300 are different than the previous models, doubt these owners will get seven 1/2" holes around the baffle plates? Will prolly have to go smaller with the bit, maybe a 1/4" or 5/16" would work jus drill around the baffle hole in the plate. I'm sure someone has done this to an 09 ???:dontknow:
My apologies, I did not realize the difference in the end plates. I bought my 03 retro in May 2002. :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
i took mufflers off took chrome covers off drilled out welds and took the whole baffle out, destroyed them getting tem out. now it's wide open and sounds like crapp so know i'm making my own baffles to weld in side. I don't rcomend this to my worst enemy!!!
Good post... IMO save up your cash and get either pipes or slip-on mufflers.
I've read too many posts of people doing the clayton, deep clayton, modified clayton mod and ended up swaping them out down the road

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't know that there was two parts to clayton mod then when I took the baffles out it was too late for me to do second step. never thought about looking down inside so thats what i get for being in a hurry da! Thank god for welders and plasma cutters !!!!

Good post... IMO save up your cash and get either pipes or slip-on mufflers.
I've read too many posts of people doing the clayton, deep clayton, modified clayton mod and ended up swaping them out down the road

·
Registered
8 Posts
2006 VTX 1300C de-baffling works best using a cordless 3/8 drill with some nuts hanging off the end of it and a 3" hole saw bit stuck into the business end of it. Don't worry too much with tryna get the pilot bit to do the piloting at first just get it in the small exhaust port as center as you can. The inner walls of the pipes will keep you within the boundaries of not ruining your day and your exhaust pipes. Trick is to start at damn near the same angle as the pipes end in and as you get more hole saw bit going in you wanna also be decreasing the angle of the drill by letting it level out as you drill the hole. Once you're completely cut out around the fact exhaust tube and end wall of the pipe take a pair of channel locks and wiggle the soon to be deleted baffle to make sure its cut out at the end. Last step,,, take a hammer preferably a small sledge and beat something long into the small outlet tube and get it stuck however you can so you can finaggle that bitch around without slicing your hand open. Basically a handle is what you want in order to snap the small spot weld that is way up in there holding the baffle on still. Circulate the "handle" a few times and beat it in a Lil with the hammer and it'll break loose. No need to get crazy with it. Instead I recommend patience. You'll be pleased with the end result if you do it just like I said.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts