Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the baffles out of my Jardine drags and need some suggestions. I've drilled out and totally removed both rivets that hold the baffles in. I can get them to move in so I know they are free, but can't pull them out since there is nothing to pull or get a grip on (they're in there pretty good!). I can't think of anything to do short of maybe tacking a short bolt to the inside of the baffle with the MIG so I would have something to pull on. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks.

Russ

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hey Matador...I recently read something by Bareass172 about removing baffles from Jardine Drag Pipes. Essentially, it came down to the proverbial, "get a bigger hammer" technique. I searched for the post but could not find it. You may want to PM Bare and ask him to steer you to that post.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Hi Spike...I read something else by Bare in which he describes the process in which he literally beat the baffles out of the Jardines.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh well...no good. Bare emailed me and said that he was taking them out of a 1300 not an 1800. I guess on the 1300, you can remove the muffler section and beat the baffles out...that would be A LOT easier. On the 1800, you can't remove the muffler section so they have to be pulled out somehow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got them out!

Tacked a bolt sticking up in the baffle, then welded a large nut (one that would easily fit over the bolt) to the end of a piece of strap iron. Bent the other end of the strap iron in an "L" shape so I could hammer out on it. Looped the large nut over the bolt tacked in the baffle and they came right out. About 20 minutes of welding and 45 seconds of hammering.

These are the longest baffles I've ever seen! Who knows what it'll sound like. My bike's apart right now for painting. I'll let you know.

I really need to buy an auto-darkening shield, but hey that's another story.

Russ
PS...Thanks for the email Bare

1 - 8 of 8 Posts