Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any advice on removing the 1800 tank decals. their stickers of some type and im hopeing theres a easy way to do it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
chewbacca said:
any advice on removing the 1800 tank decals. their stickers of some type and im hopeing theres a easy way to do it.
Just type "sticker removal" in the search and you will find a ton of different ways. I just used a blow dryer and goo be gone.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I removed mine with the wife's hairdryer. Then used Goo Gone to remove any adhesive that was left over. Spent maybe 5 minutes.

Some also use WD 40 for the adhesive.

·
Registered
615 Posts
An easy way is use mono filament fishing line, just slip line under the emblem use a sawing motion to remove. Tip use a couple of dowels or any thing you can wrap the line around to get a better grip with. Then use any solvent to remove any glue residue art line under emblem and use a saw motion to remove, Will not damage paint and is super easy, then use any solvent to remove any glue residue that remains.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Another good remedy for removing stickers is carnuba wax. Rub it on, let it sit for a few, then apply a little more carnuba and elbow grease to loosen and remove. It may take a few applications of carnube but i prefer this method as to harsh cleaners.

·
Registered
95 Posts
what NOT to DO

DO not use or DON'ts...

>gasoline
>paper towel
>any towel and/or rag and RUB (with any effort) upon it,,, NOTE let the Goo Bgone do its trick
>hold a cat on top of it and let it claw it off...

just the normal stuff you probably would think would work, but doesn't.

LOL

kded4009
ps I in the market fer a new tank....

·
Registered
271 Posts
If your talking about the little warning stickers, mine came off very easily with the use of my buddys wifes fingernail. no scratches or residue.

·
Registered
120 Posts
For the residue, Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover in the pump spray bottle is the best I've ever used. Just spray it on, wipe it around on the area with your finger, and let it sit for a minute. Everthing gooey will wipe right off with a damp cloth. I used it all over my new house recently as well to clean up after removing stickers (toilets, tubs, etc.).

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Honda spray cleaner or similar product they make now will remove the glue residue and also just about anything else, like bugs, tar etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
dumb response here....just wanted to make sure you're not talking about the decals on the SIDES of the tank....they are cleared over and the tank would need repainted (or at least recleared) if you were to remove those.

·
Registered
114 Posts
at least on the n model........ :oops:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh shadow16508, that was not a dumb response, i noted that they were stickers in the first post i put and people didnt notice that i put stickers there. now im down one sticker decal with a big hole where there should be clear coat. i dont know what the hell to do about it now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
chewbacca said:
oh shadow16508, that was not a dumb response, i noted that they were stickers in the first post i put and people didnt notice that i put stickers there. now im down one sticker decal with a big hole where there should be clear coat. i dont know what the hell to do about it now.
Looks like your bike will have the literal interpretation of "ghost flames".

Only thing to do now is complete the job and have the tank repainted. :cry:

·
Registered
457 Posts
shadow16508 said:
dumb response here....just wanted to make sure you're not talking about the decals on the SIDES of the tank....they are cleared over and the tank would need repainted (or at least recleared) if you were to remove those.
Well I be damned, I thought I was the only one smart enough to
do this. I remember posting the same post using the word "sticker".
And being new to the forum as soon as someone said use a hair dryer, I was out in the garage peeling that sucker off! It came right off so easy. But I noticed a little outline of where it once was and got that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. Went back inside and read a few more post and someone mentioned that the decals on the side were under the clearcoat and you couldn't peel them off! The sad part is I work for Honda in the paint shop! (automotive) :oops: :oops: I went up to final repair and ask what can I do other than re clearcoat. They gave me a little bottle of the polish they use to buff the clear and i used it with a buff pad and an air buffer and it smoothed out the edges and you can't really tell it unless you look for it. But now I have a decal on one side only! Someday I will repaint it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts