Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my Retro with only 900 miles on it in a Honda Dealer nearby for change oil and throttle adjustment the other day. And when I came back to pick it up I noticed that there is a scratch on my front fender, near the tip (3-4" in length). It's not just small scratch, the kind of scratch that you will notice right away. They try to wax it thinking that it might come off but it was deep enough for just a wax.
Now, the service manager talk to me and said leave the bike so that they can bring it to the paint shop and they will try to buff it off. Another option he said is if buffing won't do it, they might repaint it. I said that is not an option for me because I had a bad experience on repainting. He said that that is one of their option and the last option that they don't want, is to buy a new fender which is I think the only option that I want.
Then I said to the manager, since it is on tip of the fender, I think the Chrome Fender Tip will cover it. So he he said ok. They will buff it off a little and buy me the Fender Tip. My question is, If I insisted on getting the new fender. Can they denied it? Because the Service Manager told me that all they have to do is fix the problem, it does not matter how they will do it as long as it will not be noticeable. I have a Two toned paint. I only ask for the Front Chrome tip, is that fair enough for me? :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
At end of my first season the dealer but small scratch/teeny-tiny ding in the tank. They offered to have repaired and also pay to have the bike pin-striped. They also offered to replace the tank if I wasn't going to be happy w/ that. I went w/ the new tank, & got now hassle f/ the dealer.

Work out what's best for you - a good dealer will want you happy!

Bill

·
Registered
192 Posts
It sounds like the dealer is trying to make things right. I'm no lawyer, but my understanding is that you have the right to "be made whole" again from where you were wronged. Repainting I would think would make you whole again. Alternatively, I'd be happy with the fender tip too.

You should feel lucky, alot of dealers wouldn't do what this one is doing. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Cam

·
Registered
549 Posts
just because you can don't always mean you should, sure you may be able to get a new fender out of the deal, take the fender tip, put it one the bike and ride.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Yes, I got the bike with the fender tip (only one piece) low side is, now I have to buy the back too because it doesn't seem right. Mmmmm, that's a good reason, MORE BLING-BLING :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong but repainting is not the same as the original that was painted barebone from the factory. The factory has a different process on painting. I seen so many cars (mine for example) that is repainted and after a year the clear coat started to come off. And also when everything starts to fade that one piece that was repainted is not gonna be the same ilke the rest.

About that dealer, MID-CITIES HONDA in PARAMOUNT, CA. YES that's the dealer. Before I drove out on my garage I wash my bike, Polished it, and even waxed it. Thinking that if they saw it that clean and shiny, they will hesitate to leave finger print or any dirt or whatever. BOY I was wrong! When they brought it out from their shop, the bike looks like it had not clean for few weeks. Prints and grease are all over the place, mirror was out of wack, and dust are everywhere. Now tell me, should I go back there for service again. I DON"T THINK SO. And If I was the manager, I will order the whole fender kit (Front and rear), not jus the one piece that I got.

·
Registered
790 Posts
If the scratch is only in the clear coat it can easily be buffed out.....I am not saying by someone at home with some wax and a cloth but any body shop has the proper equipment. You would never know the scratch was there 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.