Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I wrecked the orange beast on Saturday... needs sissy bar, tank, maybe front fender, clutch lever, pegs, headlight, windshield, maybe rear fender.... couple other little things. Now, do I take it and leave it at the dealer to have them do it? or do I order all the parts from Hal, put them on, have the dealer sign off on it and give the receipts to the insurance company or something like that. Could save a lot on labor cost and get some new toys.... just wondering how this works since I've never broken anything like this before. thanks.

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
You should be able to get a check from the insurance and fix it yourself. I have done this with cars.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'd discuss it with my agent. Haven't done it myself but do know of it being done and the guy was able to add some pretty neat stuff as a result. I would think taking the bike to the insurance company for inspection following the repair would be sufficient. I doubt you would get a repair shop to sign a statement IF they didn't receive some "benefit" from the repair.

·
Mad Hatter
21,317 Posts
Yes Dave, Do it your Self and U can Enjoy Some Extra Goddies!!! The Insurance company Should Have NO problem as Long as the Work is done and Done Properly!! Have done this on My own Car Before!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So does that mean I should keep it here at the house and not take it to the dealer at all? thanks for the advice

·
Registered
915 Posts
Just call your ins.Progressive came to me and sent a check.Mine has a lien,otherwise they didn't care what i did with the bike.I have to have mine inspected by the bank after repairs.Check is in my name AND the credit union.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I did the same thing. Took mine to the local dealer for estimate on all the parts/labor. It's amazing how much MORE stuff you can buy in aftermarket vs stock for the same $$$. Keep all your receipts just in case anything does come up later on, you have evidence of what was on the bike.

·
Mad Hatter
21,317 Posts
Davesax36 said:
So does that mean I should keep it here at the house and not take it to the dealer at all? thanks for the advice

Well, If U arte able to take it to a Couple Dealers or Shops, Get A Couple of Est.. and then When the Insurance company comes to Look at it, Maybe U can get the HIGHER Est :wink: :wink: More $$$$$$$

1 - 8 of 8 Posts