Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel consumption really went south couple of months ago and I read that the 02 1800 C often needs the FPR replaced, so I bought one (OEM) and finally got around to putting it in (the one I took out, tested OK and appeared to be fine but what the heck). The jury is still out whether my mpg’s will come back to where they were, which for my little tank was about 90 to 100 miles before the light comes on. I’ll post an update when I learn, but I also changed my oil because I was worried there could be gas in it (didn’t seem to be when it drained), so I should be good to go now.

· Registered
13,640 Posts
My fuel consumption really went south couple of months ago and I read that the 02 1800 C often needs the FPR replaced, so I bought one (OEM) and finally got around to putting it in (the one I took out, tested OK and appeared to be fine but what the heck). The jury is still out whether my mpg’s will come back to where they were, which for my little tank was about 90 to 100 miles before the light comes on. I’ll post an update when I learn, but I also changed my oil because I was worried there could be gas in it (didn’t seem to be when it drained), so I should be good to go now.
The smell of fuel in the oil would really be strong if the FPR was leaking at the diaphragm. 90-100 isn't bad. You like to exercise your right wrist probably more than me. My light comes on around 110-115, and I too have a 4.49 gal. C tank. Do you notice any clutch slippage at higher speeds in either 4th or 5th? That will reduce your mileage too. as will under-inflated tires, tires out of alignment, dragging brake pads.

Reactions: Merry Prankster

· Registered
86 Posts
My fuel light comes on on average around 100-110 miles on My 2003 1800c.
The light has come on with as little as 75 - 80 miles on the tank if I'm really getting on it for the entire tank.
I've tracked my fuel consumption on a phone app for the last +/- 15,000 miles and the average over that span has been 37 mpg.
Obviously less then the 37 mpg when I'm really getting into it.
I plan gas stops at 100 miles.
I changed my fuel pressure regulator this past riding season as a precautionary measure.

· Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,932 Posts
My R I plan on 100 to 125 for stops. Have gotten up to 50 mpg in Colorado. As little as 20 hammering, also that hammering for 20 resulted in a Meltzer being replaced at 2k.

· Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My fuel light comes on on average around 100-110 miles on My 2003 1800c.
The light has come on with as little as 75 - 80 miles on the tank if I'm really getting on it for the entire tank.
I've tracked my fuel consumption on a phone app for the last +/- 15,000 miles and the average over that span has been 37 mpg.
Obviously less then the 37 mpg when I'm really getting into it.
I plan gas stops at 100 miles.
I changed my fuel pressure regulator this past riding season as a precautionary measure.
Absolutely no clutch slippage. I normally get around 90 or so miles for a full tank, but last couple of tankfuls it was down to around 75 miles which was cause for concern as my riding hadn’t changed (aggressive with the wrist). I didn’t smell gas in the oil, but it did seem a little thinner which along with the bad mileage made me wonder. It didn’t hurt anything to change the FPR.

· Registered
11,860 Posts
I didn’t smell gas in the oil, but it did seem a little thinner which along with the bad mileage made me wonder. It didn’t hurt anything to change the FPR.
If there was any thought whatsoever that FPR might have slightly contaminated oil with gas, I would also advise an oil change. Very cheap insurance, all things considered.

· Super Moderator
64,439 Posts
My 03 C only gets 20-25 around town already replaced fpr. Light comes on at 70 or so.Hypercharger doesn't help
Wow, that is some piss poor mileage and no it's not from the Hypercharger. You'd actually get better mileage from a Hyper over the stock airbox. Do you have a fuel manager on the bike that's dumping way too much fuel into the mix?

· Registered
14,807 Posts
Wow, that is some piss poor mileage and no it's not from the Hypercharger. You'd actually get better mileage from a Hyper over the stock airbox. Do you have a fuel manager on the bike that's dumping way too much fuel into the mix?
]> > 2015 he had a Power Commander. Still have the PC??

Red Dog >> When you replaced the FPR, did you remove the dust cap on the FPR?

· Super Moderator
64,439 Posts
If you have a PC3 did you have a custom map done for your bike or did you use a free map from the internet? Most of those free maps are way too rich and there's your poor mileage. I had a PC3 and I was getting around 42-45 mpgs on my 2002 C that was with a better flowing intake and V&H exhaust putting out 98hp I think. I did have a custom map done on my bike and I had the dyno guy make it a good mix of power and mileage. If you don't tell the dyno guy what you want(he should ask you anyway... ) they will default to making a Max Power map forgoing mileage for power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts