Honda VTX Forum banner

I replace my brake rotor bolts:

• Each and everytime I remove the brake rotor(s)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every X number of removals

• Never, as long as they "look" ok.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have removed your brake rotors to either clean or powdercoat/chrome the rims....

The service manual says replace them.....now, I have removed them several times before so I could clean the rims....have always just reinstalled. Used locktight. I would say I have removed them about 4 or 5 times in 40,000 miles.

But my rims are now out being powdercoated and I am debating whether I should replace the bolts this time around....

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts
Replace them. They say to replace them because of the strength they need to be to hold that rotor. After they get torqued down, they stretch a little, this weakens them a bit. If you've removed and used them again several times as you say, replace them. If this was the first time, I'd say you could use them again. But those bolts have a ton of force going through them each time you brake

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey spike....

That's kind of where my thoughts were originally going I guess.

The manual and parts fische dont show the bolts that hold the "hub" on a 1300R to the front wheel (the part that the rotor bolts to....I assume something similar on an 1800?)...I guess that means that they dont need replaced? They are Torx bolts.

Do you know if it is "ok" to chrome all of these (the heads of the rotor and hub bolts) if I wanted to? Not sure if it is worth it for the look or not.

The parts fiche shows "8x24" for the rotor bolts for my bike...am I correct in assuming that is the metric size/length? I need to chase out the threads when the wheels, etc come back and need to buy a bottom-tap....

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts
Yes, chase the threads to clean them up from any overspray of the powder coating. The coater should plug the holes before spraying, but you never know. Yes the 8x24 is 8mm sized in 24mm length, you can chrome the bolts, but they have snap on caps that look just as nice from Kuryakyn.com

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
I have replaced Mine a couple times...

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, chase the threads to clean them up from any overspray of the powder coating. The coater should plug the holes before spraying, but you never know. Yes the 8x24 is 8mm sized in 24mm length, you can chrome the bolts, but they have snap on caps that look just as nice from Kuryakyn.com
Really? I for some reason didnt think they would clear other parts as they spun.

Hey, thats great news! Chrome caps work for me....Thanks for that hint!

Just looked at their site and didnt find any specifcally for brake rotor bolts.....I have seen generic bolt caps elsewhere....have you actually put them on your rotors bolts?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Those bolts are stainless is you use a little polish and a dremel they'll polish up like chrome. I did them and all of the bolts holding on the engine and tranny case covers and the instrument cover bolts. Huge difference.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those bolts are stainless is you use a little polish and a dremel they'll polish up like chrome. I did them and all of the bolts holding on the engine and tranny case covers and the instrument cover bolts. Huge difference.
I just tried dremeling one and it did get shinier but they look very "dark" if that makes sense....

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I have tried polishign some of my bolts on the bike and they get dark and rust shows after a while....mostly on the fork pinch bolts...just nasty looking in my opinion.

the rotor bolts I have never replaced but I did have them chromed....I have a whole set to get done as spares as well if I ever need I will be prepared.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a few pics of the difference.
The one on the right has been polished

The one on the left has been polished in this pic
WOW! Yeah that looks great. I started out with polishing rouge on the felt wheel/dremel and then some mothers polish....no where NEAR that. Maybe the 1800 (you have an 1800 right?) uses different bolts? That would be strange I guess....Maybe I need to take another shot at it....what kind of polish did you use?

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How do you keep them from dulling up?

I was thinking of spraying some clear coat on mine...wonder if that would hold up?

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have tried polishign some of my bolts on the bike and they get dark and rust shows after a while....mostly on the fork pinch bolts...just nasty looking in my opinion.

the rotor bolts I have never replaced but I did have them chromed....I have a whole set to get done as spares as well if I ever need I will be prepared.:thumbup:
Whatdid it cost to get the bolts chromed?

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts
Once stainless is polished, it doesn't get dull like aluminum does. You won't have to spray anything on them

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once stainless is polished, it doesn't get dull like aluminum does. You won't have to spray anything on them
Oh yeah, I guess that is why they call it stainless.....although my bolts did get corroded looking ....not corroded, but dull and blackish....maybe its the weather I ride in,etc.

I suppose a coat of clear couldnt hurt. Worst it will do is peel off....

I was able to get a nice shine on mine (thanks for the inspiration marang!)....so I am going to try them and see what they look like....will get caps if I still dont like or if they dont last.

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
I don't think the rotor mounting bolts are going to stretch from being torqued. The torque value is fairly low since they go into aluminum. These are not torque turn bolts ;) I've removed mine a few times and reused them. I also polished mine with an air powered die grinder. Just make sure you use a drop of blue locktite on them ;)

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Never do I replace them on my scooter, or anyone else I work on. Honda wants you to replace them because of a one time use thread lock which is applied to the bolts..........................Hondas thread lock on those bolts is a plastic dip which destroys itself upon being used. Thats why they recommend to buy new ones.....................................

Lock tight is your friend on these bolts.....................!

Show

1 - 20 of 43 Posts